Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2015/11/20 21:54:34 UTC

Policy for changelogs now that Tomcat 9 has an official release

All,

IF I'm going to commit to trunk (Tomcat 9) and then back-port something,
shall I add it to both the Tomcat 9 changelog as well as the Tomcat 8
(etc.) changelogs?

Since Tomcat 9's build is really a pre-release, I can see an argument
for ignoring the changelog for now and only mentioning changes in the
back-ports. But one could also easily argue that since there is a public
artifact for Tomcat 9 at this point, all changes should be logged there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-chris

Re: Policy for changelogs now that Tomcat 9 has an official release

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> All,
>
> IF I'm going to commit to trunk (Tomcat 9) and then back-port something,
> shall I add it to both the Tomcat 9 changelog as well as the Tomcat 8
> (etc.) changelogs?

Yes.

> Since Tomcat 9's build is really a pre-release, I can see an argument
> for ignoring the changelog for now and only mentioning changes in the
> back-ports. But one could also easily argue that since there is a public
> artifact for Tomcat 9 at this point, all changes should be logged there.

There was (until I deleted it) a note at the top of the 9.0.x changelog
that said only add 9.0.x specific changes until the first release.

Mark