Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Torsten Rendelmann <to...@gmx.net> on 2008/05/09 10:50:30 UTC

Exception caused on Vista with FIPS configuration

Hi,

today I received an error report from a user of our app (that itself
uses lucene.net) with this
exception details (app crashed due to FIPS policy set on Windows Vista):

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for
'Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory' threw an exception.
  ---> System.SystemException:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown
by the target of an invocation.
  ---> System.InvalidOperationException: This implementation is not part
of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.

at System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider..ctor()

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args,
SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args,
SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoConfig.CreateFromName(String name,
Object[] args)
at System.Security.Cryptography.MD5.Create(String algName)
at System.Security.Cryptography.MD5.Create()
at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory..cctor()
at Lucene.Net.Store.FSDirectory..cctor()

Just want to know: is this a known issue, possibly yet fixed in a newer
version (we used the recent public released version)?
Any chance to reconfigure lucene to not use MD5 hashes?

Torsten Rendelmann

RE: Exception caused on Vista with FIPS configuration

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
> Any chance to reconfigure lucene to not use MD5 hashes?
MD5 is used in forming the lockid for the Index Dir. Changing it can cause
incompatibilities between Lucene(Java) and Lucene.Net

DIGY