Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/04 20:59:44 UTC

Changing management port from 8080 to just 80?

I modified the /etc/cloud/management/server.xml file to have the management
UI listen on 80 and 443, and restarted the cloud services, but when I do a
'netstat', I don't see those ports listed. I don't see anything obvious in
the /var/log/cloud/management/catalina.out file. Thoughts?

Re: Changing management port from 8080 to just 80?

Posted by Jason Davis <sc...@gmail.com>.
Yup, I'd recommend fronting it with Apache. This is a fairly common
configuration option with Tomcat driven stuffs. You could also do some
trickery in iptables to do a PAT to direct traffic from one to the other.

Posted by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com>.
It helps, thank you. Rather than changing the user to root, couldn't the
cloud user just be granted higher privileges?

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM, David Comerford <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kirk,
>
> You correct about changing the port number in server.xml.
> Your problem is caused by the fact that cloud-management process (tomcat)
> is running as the "cloud" user.
> This unprivileged user can't open listening ports under 1024.
> Change TOMCAT_USER in tomcat6.conf to root to confirm. Probably not safe
> running it like so in production though.
> More thought required.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Dave
>
> On 4 March 2013 19:59, Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I modified the /etc/cloud/management/server.xml file to have the
> management
> > UI listen on 80 and 443, and restarted the cloud services, but when I do
> > 'netstat', I don't see those ports listed. I don't see anything obvious
> in
> > the /var/log/cloud/management/catalina.out file. Thoughts?

Kirk Jantzer
c: (678) 561-5475

Re: Changing management port from 8080 to just 80?

Posted by David Comerford <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kirk,