Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Raffaele Castagno <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/26 16:17:25 UTC

[DOC] Learning JVM: Where to begin?

Where should I begin to read to understand something about JVM and related
topics?
Actually I've printed the Java Virtual Machine Specification: It's a good
starting point?

Raffaele

--
If you want a GMail account, send me an E-Mail.

Re: [DOC] Learning JVM: Where to begin?

Posted by Raffaele Castagno <ra...@gmail.com>.
2005/5/26, Ulrich Kunitz <ku...@deine-taler.de>:

> Probably yes. Currently I'm not aware of complete and definitive
> introduction into the implementation of a Java VM. There is a

Well, I will begin from that one, and will put the others on the reading
list (gosh...if I put the titles in a list, I will need to use 3 digit...)

If you don't fear to look at the "dark side of the force",
> Serge Lidin's book "Inside Microsoft .NET IL assembler" is a
> readable introduction into the Intermediate Language used by the
> Common Language Runtime. It has indeed a black cover. ;-)

Impossible, my 'religion' prohibit this! ;-) I'll surely go to hell if I
read such a "Book of Shadows" ;-)

Well, I'll put it on the "proscribed texts" list! If one day I'll become
heretic, I'll surely give an eye to it!

Tanks.

Raffaele

Posted by Ulrich Kunitz <ku...@deine-taler.de>.
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Raffaele Castagno wrote:

> Where should I begin to read to understand something about JVM and related
> topics?
> Actually I've printed the Java Virtual Machine Specification: It's a good
> starting point?

Probably yes. Currently I'm not aware of complete and definitive
introduction into the implementation of a Java VM. There is a
papers section on the Harmony Wiki start page http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ .
I found the Jikes RVM papers to give the best insights into the
implementation of an advanced VM. More can be found
under http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/ . Steve Blackburn's papers
can be found under http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Steve.Blackburn/pubs/abstracts.html .

IMHO it might also be useful to read material, which is not
directly VM-related, but deals with issues, which must be
addressed in a VM. "Garbage Collection" by Jones and Lins is a
good introduction into GC algorithms. Advanced compilation
techniques can be found in Steven S. Muchnik "Advanced Compiler
Design & Implementation". It gives for example an introduction
into the Static Single-Assignment (SSA) Form.

I found Bill Venners' book "Inside the Java Virtual Machine" not
particularly useful. It is basically a rewrite of the Java Virtual
Machine specification.

If you don't fear to look at the "dark side of the force",
Serge Lidin's book "Inside Microsoft .NET IL assembler" is a
readable introduction into the Intermediate Language used by the
Common Language Runtime. It has indeed a black cover. ;-)

Uli