Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2002/11/13 08:03:03 UTC

[Announce]: Test release of XML-Xerces-2.1.0_0

Hey All,

Thanks to help from Tinny Ng in the Xerces-C group at IBM, I tracked
down the horrific bug that was happening in the DOMNode interface. I
haven't solved it, but I have by-passed it for now.

There is an issue with Xerces' classes that use multiple inheritance
and SWIG that no one completely understands. The class it has the
biggest impact on is DOMDocument. Whenever a DOMDocument is passed to
a method that expects a DOMNode the problem surfaces and wierd things
happen (incorrect methods get invoked in C++).

Because of this the release is still experimental. For those that want
to give it test go to:

  http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-p/experimental/

Known Bugs:
* using a DOMDocument in a method expecting a DOMNode may break. I've
  patched the ones I know about, but it's likely I've missed some.
* the equality operator for DOMNode is broken, this causes the
  following test failures:

   t/DOMNode.t                        4    1  25.00%  4
   t/DOMNodeIterator.t                5    1  20.00%  3
   t/DOMNodeList.t                   10    6  60.00%  5-10
   t/DOMTreeWalker.t                  5    1  20.00%  3

* the getScanner() method was made protected. This causes the
  following test failures:

   t/XMLScanner.t       255 65280    12   11  91.67%  2-12

Cheers,
jas.

PS. All changes are in CVS for those that want to hack on it further.