Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr> on 2002/11/19 23:59:28 UTC

Extension to write continued label in table headers

A while back, if I remember correctly, someone was looking for and
perhaps going to write an extension to write continued labels in table
headers. Ie, when the table continues, to add text like "(continued)" or
whatever in the header (and/or footer).

Apparently this never made it into the common pool, but I have recently
cooked up something fairly simple (and limited) to handle this. Is there
interest in putting it in for the next maintenance release ? It has very
minor impact on the table layout code and probably would be useful to a
number of people.

Regards,
Karen Lease

Senior Software Developer
SPX Valley Forge
Paris/Munich

Re: Extension to write continued label in table headers

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.
Hi Oleg,

It looks like this:

	<fo:table-header>
	  <fo:table-row>
	    <fo:table-cell>
	      <fo:block>Heading <fox:continued-label>
		<fo:inline>(cont.)</fo:inline></fox:continued-label>
	      </fo:block>
	    </fo:table-cell>
           etc....

For now, the content of the continued-label element must be an
fo:inline. It probably wouldn't be that hard to relax that, but it's
better than nothing. The content of the fox:continued-label element is
only written out on table-areas after the first one.

I will commit it then ASAP.
Note that this works in the maintenance branch only, but the element
itself should be OK in the HEAD too, though the way it decides whether
this is the first table area will need to be changed.

-Karen

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: Extension to write continued label in table headers

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

>> How? Karen is about table header/footer, not static content.
>
> As described in another mail today...
Do you mean http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=103260578416087&w=2?
Surely markers can help here, but it's only when continued label may be placed
in static content, which is actually serious restriction and not always the
case altogether. The problem is exactly about table header/footer.

>> And that's allowed only in table header/footer content, right?
>
> No, I'd like to allow it for every element which can generate more
> than one regular area due to page breaks, i.e. for block, inline,
> block-container, table, table-cell, list-block, list-block-item etc.
> Well, some of them make less sense than others, but clever code reuse
> will probably give most of it for free.
> It makes sense for example if you have a lengthy blockquote or
> list and you want to make the reader aware that its continued
> on the next page.
Makes sense. +1

>> > EXSLFO
>> Yes, please.
>
> I subscribed to the discussion list, let's see what happens next.
It's almost dead right now. Eliot is XSL WG member since last week, David from
RenderX want exslfo to concentrate primary on use cases instead of extensions,
  antenna guys as usual keep silence. Anyway I believe we should support
exslfo effort.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> How? Karen is about table header/footer, not static content.
As described in another mail today...

> I'd like to encapsulate both cases under one root, to keep things
> together, e.g.:
Well, that's something to consider.

> And that's allowed only in table header/footer content, right?
No, I'd like to allow it for every element which can generate more
than one regular area due to page breaks, i.e. for block, inline,
block-container, table, table-cell, list-block, list-block-item etc.
Well, some of them make less sense than others, but clever code reuse
will probably give most of it for free.
It makes sense for example if you have a lengthy blockquote or
list and you want to make the reader aware that its continued
on the next page. That the requirement popped up for tables only
until now is mostly due to the fact that various legal practices
and standards require it for tables. Granted, implementing it for
tables only would be sufficient due to the blind table technique,
but why impose unnecessary restrictions?

> > EXSLFO
> Yes, please.
I subscribed to the discussion list, let's see what happens next.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Extension to write continued label in table headers

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Well, the functionality can be nearly emulated with standard
> XSLFO, even though it is somewhat messy, and perhaps some unwanted
> space appears.
How? Karen is about table header/footer, not static content.

> A more generalized functionality would be FO which are conditionally
> rendered before/after page breaks in the FO which they are attached
> to:
>   <fo:block>
>     <fox:before-page-break>
>        <fo:block>Continued on next page<fo:block>
>     </fox:before-page-break>
>     <fox:after-page-break>
>        <fo:block>Continued from previouss page<fo:block>
>     </fox:after-page-break>
>     bla bla bla...
I'd like to encapsulate both cases under one root, to keep things
together, e.g.:
<fox:break-label>
     <fox:before-page-break>
        <fo:block>Continued on next page<fo:block>
     </fox:before-page-break>
     <fox:after-page-break>
        <fo:block>Continued from previouss page<fo:block>
     </fox:after-page-break>
</fox:break-label>

And that's allowed only in table header/footer content, right?

> Because there is now an EXSLFO initiative, I think we should supply
> a draft spec there and wait for some consensus before making comminments
> to the FOP code base (unless asked for proof-of-concept or something).
> I'll take care if writing the spec and submitting it, right after
> I've cleaned the backlog.
Yes, please.

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Karen Lease wrote:
>
>> A while back, if I remember correctly, someone was looking for and
>> perhaps going to write an extension to write continued labels in table
>> headers. Ie, when the table continues, to add text like "(continued)"
>> or whatever in the header (and/or footer).
>>
>> Apparently this never made it into the common pool, but I have
>> recently cooked up something fairly simple (and limited) to handle
>> this. Is there interest in putting it in for the next maintenance
>> release ? It has very minor impact on the table layout code and
>> probably would be useful to a number of people.
>

> Well, the functionality can be nearly emulated with standard
> XSLFO, even though it is somewhat messy, and perhaps some unwanted
> space appears. Therefore it can be discussed whether this should
> go into the FOP code pool.

I needed this urgently for "real" work. The use of the static flow in
this context would have been a real hack, whereas "continued" type
functionality is a fairly standard part of real page layout systems.
There were 2 or 3 positive responses to my message, so I put it in to
the maintenance branch. As I wrote, it's quite limited, but at least now
it's available for improvement, extension or integration in some larger
context.

> A more generalized functionality would be FO which are conditionally
> rendered before/after page breaks in the FO which they are attached
> to:
>   <fo:block>
>     <fox:before-page-break>
>        <fo:block>Continued on next page<fo:block>
>     </fox:before-page-break>
>     <fox:after-page-break>
>        <fo:block>Continued from previouss page<fo:block>
>     </fox:after-page-break>
>     bla bla bla...
>
> Because there is now an EXSLFO initiative, I think we should supply
> a draft spec there and wait for some consensus before making comminments
> to the FOP code base (unless asked for proof-of-concept or something).
> I'll take care if writing the spec and submitting it, right after
> I've cleaned the backlog.
>

> Is this ok?

Sounds fine to me, as long as you post your proposed spec here before
posting it to EXSLFO. I think this functionality is most common in
tables, but it can certainly be useful in a more general context. In any
case, I already have a user request to do the opposite of
"continued-label", ie: to compose some content only in the first area
generated by an FO, and not in any remaining areas, so you might want to
account for that as well.

This brings up a point: is this type of functionality aimed at
first/non-first/last area generated by a given FO, or by an area on a
page (as in your example)? Note that if there are several columns on a
page, these are not necessarily the same.

Regards,
Karen

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.