Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Ajit Ratnaparkhi <aj...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/01 09:06:24 UTC

Re: Contributing to hadoop

Hi,
thanks for your help.

I tried the above mentioned script(one mentioned by Raghu), but whenever i
execute it, following message gets displayed,
*datanode running as process <process_id>. Stop it first*.
I am starting the single node cluster by command bin/start-dfs.sh first,
after which i am executing the above mentioned script to start second
datanode.

I also tried giving seperate changed configuration from a seperate directory
for config by executing command,
*bin/hadoop-daemons.sh --config <config-directory-path> start datanode*
Still it gives same message as above.

also in this thread before Ramya mentioned about DataNodeCluster.java. This
will help, but I am not getting how to execute this class. Can you please
help regarding this.

thanks,
-Ajit.

Re: Contributing to hadoop

Posted by Jakob Homan <jh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
There is definitely something to be said for developing via TDD as
Lohit mentioned.

Hadoop has an extensive set of tools for writing unit tests that run
on simulated clusters (see http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2008/12/16/testing-hadoop/
  for an excellent tutorial).  This will save you time in the long run
because your testing can be contributed as well as the actual patch
and there's no need to muck about with configuring clusters, manually
starting datanodes, etc.

Actually needing a cluster to test or develop patches against is
pretty rare and indicative of a problem somewhere else.

-Jakob

Re: Contributing to hadoop

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Contributing to hadoop

Posted by Bharat Jain <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have question regarding how to go about contributing. I have 7+ exp and
earlier worked in search related tech like lucene, solr, crawlers etc while
at AOL. I have setup hadoop on cluster earlier. Are there any issues or
problems that I can start looking into to get hands on? Basically how to go
about doing some serious work?

Thanks
Bharat Jain

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Ajit Ratnaparkhi <ajit.ratnaparkhi@gmail.com