Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Divya Gehlot <di...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/18 08:57:10 UTC

Difference between Local Hive Metastore server and A Hive-based Metastore server

Hi,
I am new bee to spark and using 1.4.1
Got confused between  Local Metastore server and a hive based metastore
server.
Can somebody share the usecases when to use which one  and pros and cons ?

I am using HDP 2,.3.2 in which hive-site-xml is already in spark
configuration directory that means HDP 2.3.2 already uses hive based
metastore server.

Re: Difference between Local Hive Metastore server and A Hive-based Metastore server

Posted by Austin Lee <au...@gmail.com>.
You mean local vs remote, right?  Usually, local or embedded would mean you
are doing some ad-hoc stuff and you are not persisting your metadata.
Typically, people set up a remote metastore which can be accessed from one
or more hive clients so that metadata can be persisted (in some database)
and reused.