Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2006/03/21 14:42:03 UTC

Updating and mixing R3 and R4 bundles and Bundle-SymbolicName

There are a couple of scenarios that I'd like to discuss that have to do
with updating bundles and mixing R3 and R4. Whilst I agree some of them
are a bit theoretical, I'd like to get your opinions on how to deal with
them (best practices if you wish). These issues are related to the
Bundle-SymbolicName.

When talking about Bundle-SymbolicName, the spec (3.5.2) says:
The installation of a bundle with a Bundle-SymbolicName and
Bundle-Version identical to an existing bundle must fail.

Furthermore, on bundle validity the spec (3.11) says (amongst other things):
Updating a bundle to a bundle that has the same symbolic name and
version as another installed bundle [causes a bundle to fail].

Scenario 1:
Updating an R4 bundle with symbolic name A to one with symbolic name B.
Provided B (with the same version) does not exist yet, this should not
fail, although for me it is strange to change the symbolic name in an
update.

Scenario 2:
Updating an R3 bundle to an R4 bundle.
Provided the symbolic name and version of the R4 bundle does not fail,
this should be possible.

Scenario 3:
Updating an R4 bundle to an R3 bundle.
This should be possible, but might break dependencies that are using the
symbolic name.

Any comments on this?

Greetings, Marcel