Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Carl Austin <Ca...@detica.com> on 2009/07/03 12:12:04 UTC

Insuffient resources during optimize merge

Hi,

I have an issue when optimizing a large index (40GB). Basically the
optimize falls over with an IOException stating there are not enough
system resources, within a RandomAccessFile.readBytes call followed back
to the CompoundFileWriter close method. I assume this is when creating a
new CFS file from the separate other files.
Unfortunately there is no hint at which system resource, and I have no
access to the machine this fails on, otherwise I would run some testing
to see what resource usage is going on.
The process running this, has 1.3GB of memory allowance.

If anyone has any insights they would be much appreciated. Stack trace
included now:

Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #0"
org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException: java.io.IOException:
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.handleMergeException(Co
ncurrentMergeScheduler.java:309)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(Concurr
entMergeScheduler.java:286)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Insufficient system resources exist to
complete the requested service
	at java.io.RandomAccessFile.readBytes(Native Method)
	at java.io.RandomAccessFile.read(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.readInternal(FSDirector
y.java:596)
	at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readBytes(BufferedIndexInput.
java:136)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(CompoundFileWriter.j
ava:228)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close(CompoundFileWriter.java
:184)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.createCompoundFile(SegmentMerger.j
ava:204)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4260)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:3877)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.doMerge(ConcurrentMerge
Scheduler.java:205)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(Concurr
entMergeScheduler.java:260)
Exception in thread "Thread-12957887" java.lang.RuntimeException:
java.io.IOException: background merge hit exception: _cx:c3072736
_d8:c55434 _d9:c9791 _da:c10097 _dl:c54262 _dm:c4791 _dn:c4045 _do:c3643
_dp:c3197 into _dq [optimize]
	at a.b.c.d.e.f.ImportThread$ImportRunner.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: background merge hit exception:
_cx:c3072736 _d8:c55434 _d9:c9791 _da:c10097 _dl:c54262 _dm:c4791
_dn:c4045 _do:c3643 _dp:c3197 into _dq [optimize]
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:2258)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:2203)
	at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:2183)
	... 2 more
[...]

Thanks

Carl Austin

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised signatory.  The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies within the Detica Group Limited group of companies.

Detica Group Limited is registered in England under No: 03328242.

Registered offices: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 6YU, England.

Re: Insuffient resources during optimize merge

Posted by Manish Joshi <mj...@zedo.com>.
I assume it must be memory related issue.Not sure just a guess.
-Manish

--
Manish Joshi
Adserving Team

Re: Insuffient resources during optimize merge

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Carl,
do you have any anti-virus running on that machine by any chance?
If so could you try to turn it off and try again.

simon

Posted by Carl Austin <Ca...@detica.com>.
Thanks Ian,

This is using Windows Server 2000 or 2003, however I believe that the storage is all local. I will of course check, but am pretty sure.
The workaround is also something I may try, so thank you for that.

Carl

Posted by Carl Austin <Ca...@detica.com>.

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi