Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bjarne Jensen <bh...@ruc.dk> on 2001/06/13 10:01:19 UTC

Maintaining Cocoon-layout in WYSIWYG-HTML-editor

I have read the article “Style-free XSLT Style Sheets”
(http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/07/26/xslt/xsltstyle.html) by Eric van der
Vlist and this is IMHO a really great article that told me how to splits the
XHTML and XSLT in to different layout-files. Does anyone think it would work
in real life, if the XHTML was maintained by a WYSIWYG editor like
dreamweaver with support for XHTML - anybody know such an editor? (if not
you can use Dreamweaver and Tidy). The XSLT-part of the layout would be
maintained by a programmer or a trained graphical designer. Anyone tried
this in real life – I would really like to hear some opinions? My own
opinion is that I think this would work because the HTML would be made as
useual and the process of applying the new HTML to the
Cocoon-web-application could be done automatically without involving the
programmer - does anyone disagree or agree?

Thanks for any comments
/Bjarne

Re: SV: Maintaining Cocoon-layout in WYSIWYG-HTML-editor

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Bjarne Jensen a écrit :

> You wrote:
> >“In your example, static example data is replaced by dynamic markup,
> >which is precisely what we wanted to avoid. The augmented html rather
> >looks like this (the datamodel namespace identifies markup related to
> >the application data model).
> select="Phone">33333"</datamodel:value-of></td>
> >Put this in a web browser, and it will be rendered correctly with
> >example data, even if it's in fact a dynamic page !”
>
> I have tried this in my IE 5.5 it looks like a normal table. So IE5.5 does
> not care about the extra attributes in the <TR> :-) Netscape 4.7 does not
> show anything :-( so to use this approach the designers has to use IE5.5 (or
> similar). My question is: how do you put the extra attributes in
> Dreamweaver? (I have version 3). Are the designer typing them manually – or
> are you using a Javascript or? How does it look like? How do I configure my
> Dreamweaver?

We've customized it with JavaScript. Some new menus are added to insert
these annotations. We've also added icons so that additional markup is
visible in edition mode. You can find docs about this in the "Extending
DreamWeaver" section of help.

> The text “Paul” and “33333” is deleted when the pages is generated right
> dynamically, right?

Yep. And replaced with real data.

> “for-each=”Person”” is in my opinion programming and not layout (XSLT is a
> real programming-language Turin-complete and so on, it’s not just layout).
> So haven’t you mixed programming and layout in your example? That was why I
> wrote <my:dynaimcContentName/> in stead of <xsl:value-of select=”Name”/>.

This is not XSL, even if we've borrowed some of its syntax. The
primitives are dedicated to data insertion (including iteration on
data). There are also many other features but I will not detail them
here.

> In the Article (Style-free XSLT) the XSLT is split in two different files
> but the layout gets calculated run-time. Is this the same with your
> appliaction?

We're targetting mainly intranet webapps (not web sites or portals) and
this approach covers most of the needs, even if advanced features of our
products allow to use several XSL for different parts of the page.

> You also wrote:
> > What is an XML persistence engine?
> >
> A component that allows XML data to be read/write/queried in any target
> persitence mechanism for which we have written an implementation (files,
> SQL db, LDAP directories, etc). The application doesn't have to know
> _how_ data is stored.
>
> Is this component made by you or another vendor? This is some kind of
> interface-program-logic between the data-model and the transforming logic
> that guarantees the data doesn’t get mixed up, right?. ….On top of the
> transforming logic there is some layout.

We did this component. It allows the application to access data as XML
conforming to an application data model whatever the underlying storage
system is.

--
Sylvain Wallez

SV: SV: Maintaining Cocoon-layout in WYSIWYG-HTML-editor

Posted by Bjarne Jensen <bh...@ruc.dk>.
Well it's my email-program. SV: is danish but means exactly the same as RE:
(reply) :-) Do not know if SV has another meaning also.

The best way to search in old mails is IMHO by using www.google.com and
typing "site:mailman.real-time.com" + "what you search for", like:
"site:mailman.real-time.com SV:", finds mails send to this list that
contains "SV:" + I got the tip by reading an old posted mail.

Hope that I am not disturbing the list IYHO.
/Bjarne

SV: Maintaining Cocoon-layout in WYSIWYG-HTML-editor

Posted by Bjarne Jensen <bh...@ruc.dk>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

--
Sylvain Wallez

SV: Maintaining Cocoon-layout in WYSIWYG-HTML-editor

> I have read the article “Style-free XSLT Style Sheets”
> (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/07/26/xslt/xsltstyle.html) by Eric van der
> Vlist and this is IMHO a really great article that told me how to splits
the
> XHTML and XSLT in to different layout-files. Does anyone think it would
work
> in real life, if the XHTML was maintained by a WYSIWYG editor like
> dreamweaver with support for XHTML - anybody know such an editor? (if not
> you can use Dreamweaver and Tidy). The XSLT-part of the layout would be
> maintained by a programmer or a trained graphical designer. Anyone tried
> this in real life – I would really like to hear some opinions? My own
> opinion is that I think this would work because the HTML would be made as
> useual and the process of applying the new HTML to the
> Cocoon-web-application could be done automatically without involving the
> programmer - does anyone disagree or agree?
>
> Thanks for any comments
> /Bjarne

We use a similar approach here : a regular HTML page built with a
WYSIWYG editor is augmented with specialized markup that identifies
variable parts of the page. This page is then "compiled" in an XSL that
merges presentation and data to produce dynamic pages.

To avoid HTML source code edition for adding our specialized markup, we
have extended DreamWeaver (it's easily customizable in JavaScript) so
that the web designer can do it all in WYSIWYG mode.

About Tidy, we had some problems with it because it doesn't like
non-HTML markup. So we derived the AElfred parser that's in SAXON
(originally written by David Megginson, author of SAX) so that it
accepts HTML (auto-closing tags, value-less attributes, etc) and our
markup.

And thus we obtain a true separation between presentation and logic, and
a kind of WYSIWYG XSL editor with DreamWeaver !

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.