Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2018/10/09 18:07:19 UTC

Git struggles, basics

Hi,

I'm trying to use git in order to checkout the maven-gpg-plugin.  Our spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k4XpPA0YFzOp2bDtkXXGbXEN4bdu4u-ummTdn8tvd_Q
on how to do things needs some updating - I'm currently stuck searching for
basic answers.

To check out the spreadsheet say to do a git clone <url>.

I don't know the url.  What I have is this http link:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-gpg-plugin.git

I note that this is the same kind of link uimaFIT has.
That URL doesn't work in the git clone command.

============

The spreadsheet has an entry under ASF Conventions "Apache Home on GitHub".
This seems only partially true.  For instance, the very thing I'm trying to do
is on "gitbox" not "github"?

Re: workflows in Eclipse: I have the Eclipse "egit" plugin installed, I think it's
the "standard" support.  Is there a workflow for checking out a maven project
as a named branch, working on it, committing it (locally), and then making a
request to the project owners to pull your changes?  I couldn't seem to find
how to do step 1 (e.g., check out a project as a new Eclipse project-branch).
Anyone know how to do that?

-Marshall (struggling...)

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 16. Oct 2018, at 22:49, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> On github.com/apache, if you search for uima, you see hits apache/uima-uimaj and
> apache/uima-uimafit  (and others).
> I guess pushing to apache/uima-uimafit would update gitbox.a.o, while it would
> not for uima-uimaj.

Yep. Only uima-uimafit is writable and syncs to gitbox.a.o.

The other uima projects are mirrored read-only at GitHub. Although people
could still fork them from there and create pull requests. But the pull
requests could not be merged via GitHub. They would have to be exported
as patches, attached to a Jira, and then be merged manually by a UIMA
committer.

In the uimaFIT project, I can automatically build PRs from contributors via
Apache Jenkins and I can conveniently review and merge them through the GitHub website
without having to go through the traditional routine of checking the
source out locally, patching it with the contribution, building locally, etc.
Although I mostly do this for myself at the moment since there are not (m)any
contributions at this time.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
excellent!  That's what I concluded...

Here's what INFRA says:

    The documentation is currently correct, though I get how it can be
    misleading. Writable Git repos are hosted on git-wip-us (they have been
    for a long time). Those are mirrored to git.a.o and github as read-
    only. GitBox is a newer service that enables gitbox.a.o and github.com
    as writable remotes. New projects are setup to use GitBox by default,
    older projects still use git-wip.

    We'll be updating all those docs in the future as we move to GitBox as
    default (no ETA).

On github.com/apache, if you search for uima, you see hits apache/uima-uimaj and
apache/uima-uimafit  (and others).
I guess pushing to apache/uima-uimafit would update gitbox.a.o, while it would
not for uima-uimaj.

Cheers. -Marshall

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I found a Jira ticket requesting moving some project's GIT from git-wip-us to
gitbox.
I updated our google spreadsheet on git

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k4XpPA0YFzOp2bDtkXXGbXEN4bdu4u-ummTdn8tvd_Q/edit#gid=0

with a row describing this.  I also wrote to infra users list pointing out that all the links you get to via googling, at the top, keep referring to what is probably the now old git-wip-us site; and also pointing out this conflicting instructions.

-Marshall

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 16. Oct 2018, at 20:03, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> For working on our own projects, where we have "permissions", is it correct to
> think that
>
> 1) at the Apache writeable-Git spot, we go to the repo, and clone it to our
> local computer,

On a social coding site like GitHub, you normally fork only repos that you do
not have write permissions to. The purpose of the fork is that you create a
space where you can push your changes and offer them to others, usually via
a pull request.

If you are a maintainer of an open source project and already have write
permissions on your GitHub repo, there is no need to fork it.

> 2) on the local clone, make a branch

Aye

> 3) do changes, test etc., and commit to the branch

Aye

> 4) push the branch back to writable-Git spot (because we have committer permissions)

Aye - if you have commit permissions to the main project repo, you push your branch
directly to it. You could even not make a branch and simply push your changes to
master (or some other development branch). That would pretty much what you are used
to from SVN. But, I would recommend adopting the branching practice. Branching
is very cheap and easy in git and you'll only learn to value the branches after
making it a habit to create them.

> 5) ask the "owner" (or maybe pretend to be the owner) to "pull" the branch into
> the master, after they are satisfied.

If you are the sole developer: yes - you merge your own PRs (or as mentioned above,
you simply always commit to master)

If you are not the sole developer and you have a reasonably active project, you
might want to choose that every PR should be reviewed and approved before merging.
It is possible to set up GitHub in such a way that merges are not enabled unless
certain quality criteria have been met, e.g. unless Jenkins succeeds building the
PR, unless the PR branch is up-to-date with respect to the target branch (i.e.
no surprises after merge), or unless a configurable number of approvals have
been given. Of course, as a project owner, you can always merge.

> So in this case, there's no need to make a fork of the repo on the Apache
> writeable-Git spot, correct?

If you have write permissions to the project repo -> no need to fork.

> That was only needed if there were no permissions
> to push the new branch back into the original repo?

Exactly.

> ======
>
> In a previous reply, when you don't have permissions, it said: go to the GitHub
> website, fork the "maven-gpg-plugin"repo under your own GitHub account, then
> clone *that*.
>
> When this mentions "the GitHub website", does this refer to github.com/my-spots,
> or github.com/apache/some-new-repo-I-create.

I'd say that "GitHub website" in this case refers to "https://github.com/apache/maven-gpg-plugin"
You go there and press the "fork" button - since you do not have karma to commit to that repo.
The fork will be created as "https://github.com/mischor/maven-gpg-plugin".

> In other words, should we try to
> put forks for this purpose under the "apache" "section" of github?  What's the
> right "protocol"?

You cannot create repos under "https://github.com/apache" - only INFRA can do that.

If you wanted to avoid creating a fork under your own account (https://github.com/mischor),
you'd have to ask the Apache PMC to which you want to contribute for committer permissions
so that you could push your branch there directly.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
just curious, why doesn't this work:

1) clone project to local pc
2) create branch, make updates
3) commit changes
4) create a pull request for that commit

Is it because with this approach, my pull request would somehow need to
reference my clone on my local pc which others of course don't have access to?
I kind of thought the pull request would "encapuslate" all the info it needed,
sort of like a patch.

For this particular case, what I did was:
1) clone project to local pc
2) create branch, make updates
3) make a "git"-style "patch" and attach the patch to the Jira.

:-) Cheers. -Marshall

Re: Git struggles, basics

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Git struggles, basics