Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> on 2012/11/07 16:50:20 UTC

[ALL] Moving from Incubator to Commons?

This may not be the correct list, and I should be sending to the PMC
directly, but thought I would start here.

Apache Droids incubating (http://incubator.apache.org/droids), is an
incubating project. It has been suggested that graduating into Commons
might be a good way to go.

I would like to start a discussion with the correct parts of Commons to
see if they are interested, and what it would take to make the move if
both parties agree.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: [ALL] Moving from Incubator to Commons?

Posted by Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>.
+1 on nutch -- H

Re: [ALL] Moving from Incubator to Commons?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 8, 2012, at 4:41, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 08/11/2012 02:03, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>
>> IIUC, Cocoon (and others?) also need this, so it makes sense for it
>> to be a component on its own and - assuming it stays small - in
>> Commons.  I have not looked carefully at the code, but it does not
>> look so much like "a crawler" to me as a framework for managing
>> things like crawlers.
>
> I think it would be better for the project to find a home where the
> other developers have an expertise in the same domain.
>
> Commons is the perfect home for components that are not related to the
> main concern of many other projects (logging, configuration,
> pooling...). But in this case there is a project, Nutch, whose core
> functionality is exactly the goal of the component.

Exactly. The next question is: does Nutch already have something
similar to Droids or is Nutch strictly for web crawling. If only for
web, Nutch might be the perfect home.

Gary.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 08/11/2012 03:04, sebb a écrit :

> According to the Droids status page [1] there are 8 committers.
> That is more than several TLPs, including HttpComponents and JMeter.

There are only 2 active committers according to the SVN log, and 75% of
the commits coming from a single committer over the past year. That's
probably what prevents the project from graduating to a TLP.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [ALL] Moving from Incubator to Commons?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 November 2012 01:51, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 07:03 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> You are right, Nutch already has a web crawler, that looks like the
>>> perfect home for a crawler framework.
>>
>> IIUC, Cocoon (and others?) also need this, so it makes sense for it
>> to be a component on its own and - assuming it stays small - in
>> Commons.  I have not looked carefully at the code, but it does not
>> look so much like "a crawler" to me as a framework for managing
>> things like crawlers.
>>
>> Phil
>

> It is a framework targeted at crawling something for some goal. Nutch is
> about search and HttpComponents is about HTTP. You can Droids to crawl the
> file system for some other goal other than search. So those other projects
> aren't the best fit either. The other issue is that most projects are
> spinning off sub-projects. Commons is the only place that is really taking
> subprojects within its area of responsibility. There is a community behind
> Droids, but not sure it's to the level of its own TLP.

According to the Droids status page [1] there are 8 committers.
That is more than several TLPs, including HttpComponents and JMeter.

I'm not yet convinced that Droids belongs in Commons.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/droids.html

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 11/07/2012 10:40 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 11/7/12 8:06 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And it does not fit what I consider commons naming. Recall the recent
>>> rename from sanselan to imaging.
>>>
>> Yeah, we like to use more concrete names related to the problem domain
>> of the component.
>
> Yeah, but before the name was coopted for a mobile OS, "android" was
> a common synonym for "robot"  which is very descriptive ;)
>
> Other than sebb's (and my) comments that this *could* be a TLP, any
> other reasons that this code does not belong in Commons?
>
> One thing for Richard et al to think / comment about:  joining us
> means helping out on reviewing other component releases, discussions
> like this, improving our release process, web site, etc.  Are you
> guys up for this?
>
> Phil

That you for all of the feedback. To address some of the questions in
general; keep in mind, these are just my opinions, not that of the project:

1) Name - Droids pre-dates the popularization of the Androids OS. I
understand that Commons keeps their subproject names more generic, and
that a name change would probably be required. It would probably be
required before becoming a TLP as well due to Android.

2) Why not a TLP? At the moment the activity is a bit low. It could be a
TLP, but it probably needs some more activity before it gets there. It
was suggested by some on the IPMC that Commons may be an appropriate
place, so I am exploring that with you.

3) Why not some other TLP?
3a) In general the board is shying away from subprojects in TLPs and
they are in general being spun out into their own TLP. So while it isn't
impossible, the pressure is against such a thing. The one exception
being Commons.
3b) Why not Nutch? For the reasons above, plus I don't know that this
would be a good fit for Nutch. Nutch and Droids do common things, but
they do things differently. Droids aims to be a framework, Nutch aims to
be more than that. Emmanuel actually gives me an example:

"Commons is the perfect home for components that are not related to the
main concern of many other projects (logging, configuration,
pooling...). But in this case there is a project, Nutch, whose core
functionality is exactly the goal of the component."

There is an Apache Logging Services TLP and a Commons Logging component.
One is more specialized (Log4X) and the other is more generic. I kind of
see Nutch and Droids in a similar light.

4) Is the Droids community willing to help with Commons? Personally, I
would be. I'm not sure about the others. Part of it us understanding how
you work. This discussion has been helpful for that.

I am copying droids-dev on this message, so that they can get some
feedback as well. I probably should have mentioned it earlier, but three
Droids committers (Thorsten Sherler, Tobias Rübner, Bertil Chapuis) are
in Sinsheim, so if you are over there they may have some more feedback
in person.

I personally will be heading out for the weekend shortly, and will be
mostly offline until Monday. Once again, thank you for the feedback.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by luc <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Hi all,

Le 2012-11-08 05:40, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> On 11/7/12 8:06 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Gary Gregory
>> <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And it does not fit what I consider commons naming. Recall the
>>> recent
>>> rename from sanselan to imaging.
>>>
>> Yeah, we like to use more concrete names related to the problem
>> domain
>> of the component.
>
> Yeah, but before the name was coopted for a mobile OS, "android" was
> a common synonym for "robot"  which is very descriptive ;)
>
> Other than sebb's (and my) comments that this *could* be a TLP, any
> other reasons that this code does not belong in Commons?

Would they feel at home here? I think it is the main question. If they
want
to come and feel comfortable with us, they are welcome. If they come
only
because someone told them to go there but do not have any acquaintance
with
the rest of the components, they could establish their own TLP that
would
fit their needs.

It also depends on whether they want to build their own PMC or not.

best regards,
Luc

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 7, 2012, at 23:40, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/7/12 8:06 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And it does not fit what I consider commons naming. Recall the recent
>>> rename from sanselan to imaging.
>>>
>> Yeah, we like to use more concrete names related to the problem domain
>> of the component.
>
> Yeah, but before the name was coopted for a mobile OS, "android" was
> a common synonym for "robot"  which is very descriptive ;)

When I saw the dated look of the site my brain went to physical robots
like Lego mind storms and the like :)

Commons Crawler would fit better IMO. Google wins the name recognition
game here.

> Other than sebb's (and my) comments that this *could* be a TLP, any
> other reasons that this code does not belong in Commons?

Nope but I do not see how it is not a better fit in Nutch.

> One thing for Richard et al to think / comment about:  joining us
> means helping out on reviewing other component releases, discussions
> like this, improving our release process, web site, etc.  Are you
> guys up for this?

Is the Droids community willing to help with Commons is the question.

Gary

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.