Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/04 05:54:43 UTC

Tapestry3 + PostgreSQL temp table problem

guys,

i have a tap3 and postgres issue. sorry for posting it here, but i was
hoping to get some help from people who actually use tapestry and have
run into this problem.

now my problem is that i am generating a temp table for some
calculations. a temp table is generated when the user accesses a
function within my web app. if the user closes the web app, restarts
it and accesses the same content. it generates an error. so my debug
messages tell me that tap can find the table, but cant access it.

so when the user closes the web app and restarts it, the second
session cannot access the first sessions table. now is there a work
around this. has anybody else run into this problem. i have tried to
read some documentation on it but cant find a solution. the reason i
am using temp tables in the first place was coz i needed to perform
some calculations based on other tables and need to store this
information somewhere. hence the idea of a temp table.

thanks.

Re: Tapestry3 + PostgreSQL temp table problem

Posted by Patrick Moore <pm...@yahoo.com>.
You are better off almost certainly recalculating what you need every time. If
you have pages of data, rerunning the report and then using SQL's rownum to
select out the exact rows needed for each request as it comes in.

Your choice though....

Posted by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Is this that chat application? If it is I might seriously ponder using a
persistent JMS store to hold conversation state..

http://www.activemq.org/site/ajax.html

On 9/4/06, Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> am not sure i follow. where am i suppose to store that data.

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo/(and a dash of TestNG), team member/developer

Re: Tapestry3 + PostgreSQL temp table problem

Posted by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Moore <pm...@yahoo.com>.
In general a bad idea... you are much better off usually to simply rerun the
query rather than hold some sort of information (esp in a temp table) across
requests.

I would suggest you rethink this...