Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2007/07/02 12:05:36 UTC

Re: Questions

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On 6/30/07, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> ...My main concern w/ extracting Nutch is all the dependencies on
>> Hadoop, etc.  But it does seem like the shortest path for me....
>
> I've mentioned Tika to a few colleagues lately, and one thing that
> comes up often is that there are many document/format parsing
> libraries around, which should ideally be usable as Tika plugins with
> as little changes as possible.
>
> But these libraries' dependencies are all around the place, and
> probably conflicting in many cases.
>
> It might be good to take that into account in the design of Tika, and
> use solid classloading and isolation mechanisms. OSGI comes to mind,
> assuming it doesn't bloat the whole thing.

Yes, in many cases a solid classloading mechanism is a must and OSGi
definitly implements this properly.
I think, we can leave this open (= do not need to require OSGi) if we
have an open way of registering the plugins. Registering in an OSGi
environment might then be slightly different compared to registering in
a non OSGi environmnent. Of course, using the latter one might result in
classloading problems :) But then it's up to the developer to decide in
which environment tika should run with all the pros and cons that come
with this decision.

Carsten

Re: Questions

Posted by Rida Benjelloun <ri...@doculibre.com>.