Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by "Beil, Matthias" <Be...@ascom-ac.de> on 2007/04/18 16:19:33 UTC

Missing log output in AxisIsolationLayer

Hi,

I just tried to have on the server side (tomcat 5.0.28) the soap
messages logged. While the incoming message is logged (line 118 Muse
2.2.0) I found that there is no logic for this for the outgoing message
:-(

While the simple log based logging works, the logging using log4j didn't
work.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards

Matthias Beil

AW: Missing log output in AxisIsolationLayer

Posted by "Beil, Matthias" <Be...@ascom-ac.de>.
Hi Dan,

I mentioned this because I found the following statement in

http://ws.apache.org/muse/docs/2.2.0/manual/architecture/deployment-descriptor.html

>>Increasing the logging level to FINE (one level higher) will cause Muse to
>>record every SOAP request and response that it processes.

For me it would be okay just to have the response logged the same way as the request. Maybe additionally with some remark that this logging is only the response before it will be handled by Axis2.

I needed the logging of the response to make sure that the correct fault is issued (NoCurrentMessageFault) before going through the Axis2 handlers. Mainly because of Rampart, as on the client side the fault has lost its detail and reason part and I wanted to be sure that Muse is returning the correct fault (which it does ;-).

I didn't invest any time to get the log4j working. I uncommented the property 'org.apache.commons.logging.Log' in the 'commons-logging.properties' file. So I had my request logged.

The client side logging works (request and response) and the output to the console is just fine for me.

Best regards
Matthias

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Forgot to mention - client-side tracing will work no matter what SOAP
engine you're on. You can pipe the client trace to a file by changing the
Writer used by the SoapClient from System.out to something else:

WsResourceClient client = ...
client.setTrace(true);
client.setTraceWriter(new FileWriter(myLogFile));