Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Chad La Joie <cl...@vt.edu> on 2001/10/01 14:20:12 UTC

Passing primitive in RPC calls

I've looked through the archives and noticed a lot of people asking about
how you pass primitive data types in RPC calls, yet I haven't seen any
comprehensive answers.  So let me ask the question in a different way.

I want to pass a primitive in an RPC call.  I understand that I can wrap it
in it's java.lang equivalent, however, how does the service know to
deserialize that back into a primitive as opposed to the wrapper class for
my method?

Here is an example.  I have the following method exposed for use by SOAP

addChannel(ChannelMetadata metadata, boolean forceAdd)

and I create an RPC Parameter as follows

new Parameter("forceAdd", Boolean.class, new Boolean(false), null);

Now does the SOAP server use reflection to determine I need a boolean and
hence pass a boolean primitive to the above method, or is it going to
blindly pass a Boolean?  If it does pass a Boolean, how can I get it to
pass a boolean?

Chad La Joie                    "It is true that you never know what
Middleware Services              you have until it is gone, but it is also
IS&C - Virginia Tech             true that you never know what you've
                                  been missing until it arrives."