Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Alexei V. Barantsev" <ba...@kazbek.ispras.ru> on 2000/07/08 09:43:59 UTC

CGI.pm: start_form defaults

Playing with CGI I have found that real behaviour of start_form
without parameters does not correspond to documentation.

Re: CGI.pm: start_form defaults

Posted by "Alexei V. Barantsev" <ba...@kazbek.ispras.ru>.
Hasanuddin Tamir <ha...@trabas.com> writes:

> >> No wonder Alexei V. Barantsev on Jul 8 said that,
>
> AVB] Playing with CGI I have found that real behaviour of start_form
> AVB] without parameters does not correspond to documentation.
> AVB]
> AVB] >From the documentation:
> AVB]
> AVB] The defaults are:
> AVB]     method: POST
> AVB]     action: this script
> AVB]     enctype: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
> AVB]
> AVB] >From the source code of startform:
> AVB]
> AVB]     $method = $method || 'POST';
> AVB]     $enctype = $enctype || &URL_ENCODED;
> AVB]     $action = $action ? qq/ACTION="$action"/ : $method eq 'GET' ?
> AVB] 	'ACTION="'.$self->script_name.'"' : '';
>
> Yes, it's empty. And when it is, according to HTML spec,
> the default ACTION will be "this script".  So the doc is
> just fine.

According to HTML 4.0 specification attribute 'action' of FORM element
is required. From DTD of "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN":

<!ATTLIST FORM
  %attrs;                              -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
  action      %URI;          #REQUIRED -- server-side form handler --
  method      (GET|POST)     GET       -- HTTP method used to submit the form--
  enctype     %ContentType;  "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

ab
ICQ: 3959207

Re: CGI.pm: start_form defaults

Posted by Hasanuddin Tamir <ha...@trabas.com>.
>> No wonder Alexei V. Barantsev on Jul 8 said that,

AVB] Playing with CGI I have found that real behaviour of start_form
AVB] without parameters does not correspond to documentation.
AVB]
AVB] >From the documentation:
AVB]
AVB] The defaults are:
AVB]     method: POST
AVB]     action: this script
AVB]     enctype: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
AVB]
AVB] >From the source code of startform:
AVB]
AVB]     $method = $method || 'POST';
AVB]     $enctype = $enctype || &URL_ENCODED;
AVB]     $action = $action ? qq/ACTION="$action"/ : $method eq 'GET' ?
AVB] 	'ACTION="'.$self->script_name.'"' : '';

Yes, it's empty. And when it is, according to HTML spec,
the default ACTION will be "this script".  So the doc is
just fine.

san
--
trabasLabs * hasant@trabas.com * http://www.trabas.com