Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org> on 2020/04/24 10:31:34 UTC

[VOTE] Make conn_id unique in Airflow (a.k.a. Remove connection balancing HA )

As we discussed in the thread on Spec thread for our new API, the idea
came up of making conn_id unique in Airflow

<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfb6f7d95b2754fda9dd09b08444214dfad12d10f143d32de0fcf4104%40%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>

The people in that thread seemed to be in favour of it:

- It is often confusing to users (there have been a few bug reports
about it over the years)
- It's questionable if it actually works well or not
- There are better/smarter tools for loadbalancing connections to a DB
than picking one of a random list
- For Hive at least it has been implemented another way - allowing two
host's in a single connection string
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/4708 (available in 1.10.6)
- It makes the HTTP API confusing (needing a integer connection ID, and
a string conn_id field)

Given the downsides/work arounds, and the confusion this causes to I
propose we remove this (mis)feature from Airflow 2.0.

Kevin from AirBnb (on bcc, hopefully you see this) I would be interested
in your vote/view, as I know AirBnB was using this in the past.

This vote will last for 96 Hours, until 10:30Z on 2020-04-27 https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20200427T1030

Every vote counts here, so please all vote.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

(or fractional values between -1..+1)

This is my +1 vote.

Thanks,
Ash

[RESULT] Make conn_id unique in Airflow (a.k.a. Remove connection balancing HA )

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.
This vote has passed with 15 +1 votes, and zero -1 votes.

I've created https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/8608

-ash

Re: [VOTE] Make conn_id unique in Airflow (a.k.a. Remove connection balancing HA )

Posted by Felix Uellendall <fe...@pm.me.INVALID>.
+1

Best regards,
Felix

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Posted by Andrew Harmon <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Jiajie Zhong <zh...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Best Wish
— Jiajie

Re: [VOTE] Make conn_id unique in Airflow (a.k.a. Remove connection balancing HA )

Posted by Kamil Breguła <ka...@polidea.com>.
+1

If a user really wants, then this feature can also be implemented
using a custom secret backend. This will allow for much better
behavior control. It doesn't have to be part of the core.

Best regards,
Kamil

Posted by Bas Harenslak <ba...@godatadriven.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
+1

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [VOTE] Make conn_id unique in Airflow (a.k.a. Remove connection balancing HA )

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
+1 (binding)

Thank you Ash!

Posted by Robin Edwards <ro...@bidnamic.com>.
+1

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kevin Yang <yr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Thank you Ash for asking specifically!🙏

We do use it as a hacky load balancing mechanism in Airbnb but I agree that
the right thing to is to make it unique, we will migrate to a proper
solution.

Cheers,
Kevin Y

Posted by Daniel Standish <dp...@gmail.com>.