Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by is_maximum <mn...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/28 10:23:59 UTC

SSL and non-secure items

Hi experts,

I have a web application configured to be secured by ssl, the problem is at
some pages the browser displays a dialog box as a warning that says, this
page contains both secure and non-secure items do you want to display
non-secure items? and the user has two options yes and no.

actually, this page is a table like a grid contains information, and it is
paged so user can navigate between pages and for each page this message is
displaying.

my questions are,
1- why this message appears?
2- how can I find which items are non-secure?
3- how to prevent this message to be displayed programatically?

thank you very much

Re: SSL and non-secure items

Posted by Paul Singleton <pa...@jbgb.com>.
is_maximum wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> I have a web application configured to be secured by ssl, the problem is at
> some pages the browser displays a dialog box as a warning that says, this
> page contains both secure and non-secure items do you want to display
> non-secure items? and the user has two options yes and no.
>
> actually, this page is a table like a grid contains information, and it is
> paged so user can navigate between pages and for each page this message is
> displaying.
>
> my questions are,
> 1- why this message appears?

Because the browser you're using is Internet Explorer 6?

> 2- how can I find which items are non-secure?

1) just say "no" and notice which items don't appear

2) use the "View / Source" feature and look for http:// urls

> 3- how to prevent this message to be displayed programatically?
>
> thank you very much

Paul S.

Re: SSL and non-secure items

Posted by Jérôme Etévé <je...@eteve.net>.
Hi !

 To avoid having that message (which can make your users insecure),
all the resources you use in your page must be served by the securized
server. This includes css, javascript, images , etc.

Go through your code and you might find some resources which uses full
unsecure http:// urls.

I don't know if one can avoid this message programmatically, but as
soon as it's a security feature, I doubt it.

Jerome.

On 8/28/07, is_maximum <mn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi experts,
>
> I have a web application configured to be secured by ssl, the problem is at
> some pages the browser displays a dialog box as a warning that says, this
> page contains both secure and non-secure items do you want to display
> non-secure items? and the user has two options yes and no.
>
> actually, this page is a table like a grid contains information, and it is
> paged so user can navigate between pages and for each page this message is
> displaying.
>
> my questions are,
> 1- why this message appears?
> 2- how can I find which items are non-secure?
> 3- how to prevent this message to be displayed programatically?
>
> thank you very much

Jerome Eteve.
jerome@eteve.net
http://jerome.eteve.free.fr/