Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ryan Lei <ry...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/20 05:08:23 UTC

Re: [Discuss] - Domain admin not having the flexibility to create sub-domains/sub-child domains/accounts

Dear all,

I have recently trying the functionality of CloudStack 4.0.2, and
encountered the exact same problem:

A domain admin has NOT MUCH MORE POWER than a regular user. They can not
create the user accounts or sub-domain under their domain. Nor can they
"manage" such accounts by disabling/deleting/resource limiting them. A
domain admin does have the power of fully-accessing the "resources"
(instances, volumes, security groups, etc.) of the whole domain, and
nothing else.

In my understanding, currently a domain admin's privilege is just the UNION
of all the USER'S privileges under the same domain, but without any ADMIN
POWER. This is inconsistent with the documentation, Internet articles, or
common sense. And will be a major issue in a real production environment!
Most of the admin jobs still require the power of "root" admin.

I searched JIRA, but only found this related issue: CLOUDSTACK-1915: Domain
Administrator's Guide.

Posted by Pranav Saxena <pr...@citrix.com>.
I had raised this concern sometime back and I believe , this might be taken up for some future apache CloudStack release ( may be 4.2 or later) . If you are willing to take this up  , please go ahead :).