Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Chris MacKenzie <st...@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk> on 2014/07/21 10:46:17 UTC

Is it a good idea to delete / move the default configuration xml file ?

Hi All,

I have just realised that my implementation of hadoop-2.4.1 is pulling in
all the default.xml files.

I have three copies of each in different directories, obviously at least
one of those is on the class path.

Anyway with all the effort to set up a site, it seems strange to me that I
would use settings I had no idea existed and that may not be how I would
choose to set them up.

Regards,

Chris MacKenzie
telephone: 0131 332 6967
email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
corporate: www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
<http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
<http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>

Re: Is it a good idea to delete / move the default configuration xml file ?

Posted by Chris MacKenzie <st...@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk>.
Hi thanks for that, much appreciated.

I guess they are in the jar files then ;O) I was really surprised to see
the default configs pulled in, especially considering I thought I was in
full control, I did a file search on an installation and saw the files and
jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I feel like a real idiot some times, but there is so much conflicting
information out there that later you realise that questions asked seem non
sensical but at the time they feel valid ;O)

Thanks for your tolerance,

Chris MacKenzie
telephone: 0131 332 6967
email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
corporate: www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
<http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
<http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.
If you plan to use it to learn how to program for Hadoop then pseudo
distributed (cluster of 1) will do. If you plan to use it to learn how to
administer a cluster then 4 or 5 nodes will allow experiments with
commissioning and decommissioning nodes, HA, Journaling, etc. If it is a
proof of concept cluster then it depends on the nature of the problem(s)
you want to solve.

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: planning a cluster

Re: planning a cluster

Re: planning a cluster

Re: planning a cluster

RE: planning a cluster

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hello,

RE: planning a cluster

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hello,

RE: planning a cluster

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hello,

RE: planning a cluster

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hello,

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

Re: planning a cluster

Posted by Devaraj K <de...@apache.org>.

--

Thanks
Devaraj K

planning a cluster

Posted by "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <ad...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.
I suspect someone wanted to read through them to know tge defaults.
Chris

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> Aren't the *-default.xml files supposed to be inside the jars rather than
> loose files?
> Cheers
> Chris Mawata
> On Jul 21, 2014 12:59 PM, "Chris Nauroth" <cn...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recommend against deleting or moving *-default.xml, because these files
>> may be supplying reasonable default values for configuration properties
>> that you haven't set in *-site.xml.  We also put defaults into the code
>> itself in case a configuration property is found to be completely missing,
>> but I'm not aware of any actual testing of deployments that have deleted
>> *-default.xml.
>>
>> Chris Nauroth
>> Hortonworks
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Chris MacKenzie <
>> studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have just realised that my implementation of hadoop-2.4.1 is pulling in
>>> all the default.xml files.
>>>
>>> I have three copies of each in different directories, obviously at least
>>> one of those is on the class path.
>>>
>>> Anyway with all the effort to set up a site, it seems strange to me that
>>> would use settings I had no idea existed and that may not be how I would
>>> choose to set them up.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Chris MacKenzie
>>> telephone: 0131 332 6967
>>> email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> corporate: www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> <http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
>>> <http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is it a good idea to delete / move the default configuration xml file ?

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> Aren't the *-default.xml files supposed to be inside the jars rather than
> loose files?
> Cheers
> Chris Mawata
> On Jul 21, 2014 12:59 PM, "Chris Nauroth" <cn...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recommend against deleting or moving *-default.xml, because these files
>> may be supplying reasonable default values for configuration properties
>> that you haven't set in *-site.xml.  We also put defaults into the code
>> itself in case a configuration property is found to be completely missing,
>> but I'm not aware of any actual testing of deployments that have deleted
>> *-default.xml.
>>
>> Chris Nauroth
>> Hortonworks
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Chris MacKenzie <
>> studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have just realised that my implementation of hadoop-2.4.1 is pulling in
>>> all the default.xml files.
>>>
>>> I have three copies of each in different directories, obviously at least
>>> one of those is on the class path.
>>>
>>> Anyway with all the effort to set up a site, it seems strange to me that
>>> would use settings I had no idea existed and that may not be how I would
>>> choose to set them up.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Chris MacKenzie
>>> telephone: 0131 332 6967
>>> email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> corporate: www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> <http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
>>> <http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is it a good idea to delete / move the default configuration xml file ?

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> Aren't the *-default.xml files supposed to be inside the jars rather than
> loose files?
> Cheers
> Chris Mawata
> On Jul 21, 2014 12:59 PM, "Chris Nauroth" <cn...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recommend against deleting or moving *-default.xml, because these files
>> may be supplying reasonable default values for configuration properties
>> that you haven't set in *-site.xml.  We also put defaults into the code
>> itself in case a configuration property is found to be completely missing,
>> but I'm not aware of any actual testing of deployments that have deleted
>> *-default.xml.
>>
>> Chris Nauroth
>> Hortonworks
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Chris MacKenzie <
>> studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have just realised that my implementation of hadoop-2.4.1 is pulling in
>>> all the default.xml files.
>>>
>>> I have three copies of each in different directories, obviously at least
>>> one of those is on the class path.
>>>
>>> Anyway with all the effort to set up a site, it seems strange to me that
>>> would use settings I had no idea existed and that may not be how I would
>>> choose to set them up.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Chris MacKenzie
>>> telephone: 0131 332 6967
>>> email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> corporate: www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> <http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
>>> <http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is it a good idea to delete / move the default configuration xml file ?

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> Aren't the *-default.xml files supposed to be inside the jars rather than
> loose files?
> Cheers
> Chris Mawata
> On Jul 21, 2014 12:59 PM, "Chris Nauroth" <cn...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recommend against deleting or moving *-default.xml, because these files
>> may be supplying reasonable default values for configuration properties
>> that you haven't set in *-site.xml.  We also put defaults into the code
>> itself in case a configuration property is found to be completely missing,
>> but I'm not aware of any actual testing of deployments that have deleted
>> *-default.xml.
>>
>> Chris Nauroth
>> Hortonworks
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Chris MacKenzie <
>> studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have just realised that my implementation of hadoop-2.4.1 is pulling in
>>> all the default.xml files.
>>>
>>> I have three copies of each in different directories, obviously at least
>>> one of those is on the class path.
>>>
>>> Anyway with all the effort to set up a site, it seems strange to me that
>>> would use settings I had no idea existed and that may not be how I would
>>> choose to set them up.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Chris MacKenzie
>>> telephone: 0131 332 6967
>>> email: studio@chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> corporate: www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk
>>> <http://www.chrismackenziephotography.co.uk/>
>>> <http://plus.google.com/+ChrismackenziephotographyCoUk/posts>
>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismackenziephotography/>
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Is it a good idea to delete / move the default configuration xml file ?

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

planning a cluster

Posted by "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <ad...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.