Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "James Kearney(hotmail)" <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/11 15:40:39 UTC

Errors when attempting to send mail

Hi,

I keep getting the following error when trying to send mail using James

--8<--
We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an error in the
mail server.

Error message below:
Exception caught while storing Message Container:
java.lang.NullPointerException

Message details:
  Subject: fnord
  Sent date: Tue Nov 11 14:25:45 GMT 2003
  MAIL FROM: me@whereIam.com
  RCPT TO: the@address.com
  From: me@whereIam.com
  To: <th...@address.com>
  Size (in bytes): 189
--8<--

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

james.

RE: Errors when attempting to send mail

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception caught while storing Message
> Container: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at AvalonMailRepository.store(AvalonMailRepository.java:305)
> at RemoteDelivery.service(RemoteDelivery.java:498)
> at LinearProcessor.service(LinearProcessor.java:362)

Off-hand, I'm not sure what would cause inconsistent errors in that
particular piece of code, but based upon the line numbers, that seems to be
old code.  It is revision 1.33.4.2 at of RemoteDelivery at the latest.  The
current code is 1.33.4.13, and James v2.1.3 is 133.4.8.

	--- Noel

Re: Errors when attempting to send mail

Posted by "James Kearney(hotmail)" <ja...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

I have located the stack trace that corresponds to the reported error when
attempting to send mail, which was in the spoolmanager log, but I am not
sure if this reflects that I have set something up incorrectly.

The strange thing is that sometimes it manages to send the mail, but
sometimes it fails, with an email sent to the admin account and the trace
shown below.

As for it possibly being something in the message store part of the config
file, I do not think that I have changed any of the settings for this
section from their default. As I say the behaviour of sometimes working and
sometimes not - might indicate that it is something else?

Any help much appreciated.

james

11/11/03 19:08:57 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in processor <transport>
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception caught while storing Message
Container: java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository.store(AvalonMailReposit
ory.java:305)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.service(RemoteDelivery.jav
a:498)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.LinearProcessor.service(LinearProcessor.java:362)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.process(JamesSpoolManager.java:
385)
 at
org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.run(JamesSpoolManager.java:315)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.ExecutableRunnable.execute(Executabl
eRunnable.java:47)
 at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.impl.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:8
0)

  From: me@whereIam.com
  To: <th...@address.com>