Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/05/22 16:52:54 UTC

Peer-to-peer mail

> jxta p2p mail project, http://p2p-email.jxta.org/

> I'd rather contribute to apache than jxta:) But this is not
> in scope of James, right?

Did you notice that p2p-email is based upon James 1.2?  The project was last
updated over a year ago.  Why they were doing the project there instead of
here is a question for them, if they are still around.

As far as scope, their description is "An open standard framework [for]
creating and managing spontaneous lightweight peer groups for the purposes
of sustained group communication in an "email-like" user experience."  That
is within the scope expressed for James.

Personally, I wonder if they looked at Jabber?  The JXTA P2P-email authors
describe the instant messaging problem as "Instant messaging is
complementary [to e-mail] but not a substitute because it is intended for
real-time communication, and does not provide archived instant message
stores."  In fact, the ability to use Jabber, and maintain archives is
explicitly one of the stated goals of Jabber for James, as you can see from
my original proposal:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesJabber

I don't know if you have a particular interest in JXTA, or if you just have
an interest in P2P e-mail.  If the latter, you might want to help contribute
to the nascent Jabber for James effort.

	--- Noel

Re: Peer-to-peer mail

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Did you notice that p2p-email is based upon James 1.2?  The project was last
> updated over a year ago.  Why they were doing the project there instead of
> here is a question for them, if they are still around.

Yes, I noticed that it's a bit dead:)

> I don't know if you have a particular interest in JXTA, or if you just have
> an interest in P2P e-mail.  If the latter, you might want to help contribute
> to the nascent Jabber for James effort.

Both:)
I'll have Jabber in another project, but I need to remove monopoly from
my system first:)
However, I still don't know enough of jxta advertising and discovery to
write anything.
btw if you need some Jabber code, maybe you could reuse something from
http://www.omkarmate.greatnow.com/techstuff/wiseamigo/index.htm

Regards...