Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brice Dardel <bd...@plexsci.com> on 2004/05/24 17:42:43 UTC

RE: Berkeley DB error + svnadmin freezes

I just encountered the same error as described by Stefan below.   I have a
few repositories on the machine, one of them when I do a "svnadmin verify"
does:

svn: Berkeley DB error while opening 'revisions' table for filesystem
marketing/
db:
Not enough space

There is 17 Gb free, the repository is 35 Mb.

On another repository (same machine), if I do svnadmin verify, or svnadmin
lstxns to see the opened transactions, absolutely nothing happens.  Even
after a reboot.

I think what triggers the bug is either the raid drives or the dual cpu.

I have daily backups, so I can recover a backup from last night and reapply
the changes.  I'll also move that to a single cpu machine, with a single
hard drive.

RAID drive
dual CPU
W2k server SP4
svn 1.0.4

Regards,

Brice.

Posted by Hernan Martinez Foffani <he...@ecc.es>.
Brice Dardel escribio:
> The svn server is running what I think is the most up to date version:
> Berkeley db 4.2.52 from the default win32 setup package, upgraded
> from svn
> 1.0.2 last weekend (the repository is not accessible from outside the
> 5 people team so the step to 1.0.3 wasn't critical) and Apache
> 2.0.49.   I heard some previous versions of BDB had issues with
> multiple cpus.  I don't know if it's entirely fixed, or if windows fs
> is buggy (duh) under these conditions for the strict requirements of
> BDB.

You may try db_recover.exe.  It's almost the same as 'svnadmin recover'
but it can give some more output.
You'll find it in the download page of the Subversion site as bdb tools.

> If other people start to report problems using svn on multiple cpus
> w2k machines, then there is a pattern. Without that... hard to tell.

I got a broken database some days ago.  I forgot to tell the list that
we have Apache/Subversion running in a dual cpu box, failing to realize
that it may matter.  Follows the output of db_recover:

db_recover: DB_ENV->log_flush: LSN of 112/193694 past current end-of-log of
112/
124415
db_recover: Database environment corrupt; the wrong log files may have been
remo
ved or incompatible database files imported from another environment
db_recover: strings: unable to flush page: 0
db_recover: txn_checkpoint: failed to flush the buffer cache Invalid
argument
db_recover: PANIC: Invalid argument
db_recover: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

There were *no* manually removed logs nor incompatible imports.  We *did*
have
an energy blackout, though.

Environment: Windows 2000 professional, Apache 2.0.48, Subversion 1.0.1
(berkeley db 4.2.52), dual cpu box.

After the blackout every commit hang.  Same thing with 'svnadmin verify'.

-Hernan.

RE: Berkeley DB error + svnadmin freezes

Posted by Brice Dardel <bd...@plexsci.com>.
The svn server is running what I think is the most up to date version:
Berkeley db 4.2.52 from the default win32 setup package, upgraded from svn
1.0.2 last weekend (the repository is not accessible from outside the 5
people team so the step to 1.0.3 wasn't critical) and Apache 2.0.49.   I
heard some previous versions of BDB had issues with multiple cpus.  I don't
know if it's entirely fixed, or if windows fs is buggy (duh) under these
conditions for the strict requirements of BDB.

I just finished moving everything to a single CPU box.  During the move at
some point I noticed one of my previous 'svnadmin verify' was still frozen
(2-3 hours later), so I killed it.  Then, the 'svnadmin recover' finally
kicked in (don't know if it's related to a timeout somewhere, or the verify
that got killed).  Note that before launching the verify and/or recover, I
shut down Apache and rebooted the server to make sure no user was connected.

Which leads me to a question:  can I trust a database after a 'svnadmin
recover' succeeds, or it is valuable to take back the previous backup?
(which is the safe road I took)  I start with the assumption that recover
tools can only check for a defined number of inconsistencies, and that you
can never be sure once you run these tools.

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>I'm seeing a general trend:  a lot of users seem to think 'verify' means
>'read and repair'.  It doesn't.  It just means 'read'.  Only the
>'svnadmin recover' command does any repair.

I totally agree with your definition of the feautre, and was expecting
verify to do just that:  verify and let me know if something was wrong.  If
the verify doesn't tell me something is wrong, I don't have too much hope
for the recover.   In my case, using svnadmin to verify or check the list of
opened transactions would not return, they would hang for a long time (even
launched right after a fresh reboot).

About what caused the initial problem, I don't know.  One user told me he
started to do an update (using TortoiseSvn 1.0.4 built against svn 1.0.2 - I
know the 1.0.5 is out but features are broken and already fixed in the trunk
so they'll wait for 1.0.6) and it never returned anything.   I tried to
reproduce it on the dual cpu machine but not luck.  We even tried multiple
updates at the same time.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.

Posted by Stefan Pettersson <st...@algonet.se>.

> It's probably not even a direct svn bug but it sounds to me
> like the berkeley db is in a bad shape, and the cause is
> potentially the same that this user below experienced:  dual
> cpus and/or raid.

I'm that user. In my case only one user (out of 15) did get this message
while doing an update/commit/something only once. Then everything went back
to normal and since then we've not experienced this problem. I.e in my case
it seems more likely to have been a client issue rather than something with
the Subversion repository on the server (RAID 5 but no dual CPU).

- stefan

RE: Berkeley DB error + svnadmin freezes

Posted by Brice Dardel <bd...@plexsci.com>.
Yes I tried svnrecover.  It doesn't output anything after "Please wait;
recovering the repository may take some time...".  I let it run for almost
40 minutes (I disabled one cpu, now it's a single P3 600 Mhz, operating on a

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.