Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by soul <xi...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/18 04:36:30 UTC

Solr5.1 delete out of memory

hi! I'm using solr5.1. There have about 0.3 billion doc in my solr.
I can insert and  select doc in my solr, while failed to delete doc. It
remind me that this writer hit an OutOfMemoryError : cannot commit.
I am curious that what cause this reason?

Re: Solr5.1 delete out of memory

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/17/2017 9:36 PM, soul wrote:
> hi! I'm using solr5.1. There have about 0.3 billion doc in my solr.
> I can insert and  select doc in my solr, while failed to delete doc. It
> remind me that this writer hit an OutOfMemoryError : cannot commit.
> I am curious that what cause this reason?

The nature of the problem is in the exception class name.  I can be
fairly sure that the message following the error is NOT "cannot commit",
though.  Can you make the full error message available, with the
possibly dozens of lines of stacktrace?

The most common message that people get with OOME is this:

But there are several other messages you can get with OutOfMemoryError.
Another common message is "unable to create new native Thread".

If you are getting the heap space message, then there are exactly two
ways to deal with it.  One is to increase the heap size.  The other is
to change Solr's configuration or the nature of your queries to reduce
the amount of memory that Solr needs.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#Java_Heap

My *guess* is that you're going to need to make Solr's heap larger, but
depending on the exact error you're getting, this may not help.

Thanks,
Shawn