Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/01 17:40:30 UTC

Including Bootstrap + Prettify and maybe other JS template libs in Bloodhound as a dependency WAS: Bloodhound UI basics

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,

:)

>        There were too many thread to respond to inline so I'll just address things here.
>
> 1) Bootstrap is just a CSS framework with a few very lightweight JavaScript plugins built on top of jQuery.

There's also the case for using something like JsViews [1]_ , and
ICanHaz [2]_ ( powered by Mustache ? [3]_ ) which are real
fully-featured client-side template systems . Maybe some tighter
integration with Trac is required ...

> 2) Geshi filter's performance is a concern that we should address sooner rather than later.

+1 Genshi performance in general ;)

> I know that trying to get something out quick likely will not leave much room for a templating system overhaul now but I think the problem Geshi is solving on the backend could be alleviated by using a good framework on the frontend.

that looks nice ; so I look forward to more precise comments on this
subject in this *new* thread .
Excuse me for my previous indiscipline . I should have started a new
thread since long time ago
:-/

> 3) I know Geshi does more for Trac than just help render it's frontend, it also helps do syntax highlighting of the sources being displayed in the repository browser and such.

afaik Genshi is not (heavily) used for syntax highlighting . afaicr
that's a whole different subject delegated to Pygments , ...

>  I'm not an immediate +1 on removing it but again, I have a suggestion for a client-side solution that will help make our backend much leaner and performant: Google Code Prettify (http://code.google.com/p/google-code-prettify/).  This is a client-side syntax highlighter that I used on a private project I wrote and it was great.  Just something to think about.

looking forward to see how this can be integrated into Trac . This
will certainly remove some server-side processing .
;)

> Those are the only things I wanted to address.

good to know about those
interesting indeed
;)

> Take care,

;)

Please it'd be nice if anyone could summarize all these in the wiki .
I suggest a «potentially huge» area in the wiki (e.g. Proposals,
Brainstorm, Ideas, ...) maybe using nice wiki templates to standardize
how proposals should look like ... and summarize all this in there .
Then move forward and create tickets for tasks
(please reply preferably in a separate thread ;)

PS: Maybe it'd be nice to send notifications for wiki updates to
bh-commits ML or some other place ( IRC ? ) . Please discuss this in a
separate thread .

.. [1] JsViews: Next-generation jQuery Templates

        (https://github.com/BorisMoore/jsviews)

.. [2] ICanHaz.js - Simple & powerful client-side templating

        (http://icanhazjs.com/)

.. [3] janl's Mustache.js
        (https://github.com/janl/mustache.js)

Olemis

Facebook => http://www.facebook.com/olemis
Twitter => http://www.twitter.com/olemislc (@olemislc)
Blog ES => http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog EN => http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Quora => http://www.quora.com/olemis
Youtube => http://youtube.com/user/greatsoftw

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-news/~3/BHr859OSndo/identificando-numeros-primos-con.html
Tweet: RT @WANdisco How you can add #uTest to #uberSVN...
http://t.co/SCUhNd6B #fb
Follow @olemislc  Reply  Retweet   12:35 Jan-20
  Get this email app!
Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.

Re: Including Bootstrap + Prettify and maybe other JS template libs in Bloodhound as a dependency WAS: Bloodhound UI basics

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>  > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >
> > :)
> >
> >>        There were too many thread to respond to inline so I'll just address things here.
> >>
> >> 1) Bootstrap is just a CSS framework with a few very lightweight JavaScript plugins built on top of jQuery.
> >
> > There's also the case for using something like JsViews [1]_ , and
> > ICanHaz [2]_ ( powered by Mustache ? [3]_ ) which are real
> > fully-featured client-side template systems . Maybe some tighter
> > integration with Trac is required ...
>
> Well, I guess it depends.

yes , of course . I'm just putting these on the table early so as to
consider that option as well
;)

> If Geshi is in the backend but to a lesser capacity, we wouldn't *need* something like this but it could still be useful for performance reasons since these client-side templating systems allow for client-side caching of templates.

+1 ... that's the main reason why I mentioned those above .

>  If we get rid of Geshi completely,

oh ! my precious ! ... :'(

:)

> we would most likely want to use a client-side templating system

... something actually important to take a look at
;)

> coupled with some framework like backbone.js.  Again, I've got some experience with backbone.js and here is a very simplistict, but somewhat cool, backbone.js example (GitHub feed reader that self-refreshes):
>

> http://jsfiddle.net/jcscoobyrs/WVX66/

I didn't mention backbone.js ... but it's always around ... ;)

[...]
> >> I know that trying to get something out quick likely will not leave much room for a templating system overhaul now but I think the problem Geshi is solving on the backend could be alleviated by using a good framework on the frontend.
> >>

> > that looks nice ; so I look forward to more precise comments on this
> > subject in this *new* thread .
> > Excuse me for my previous indiscipline . I should have started a new
> > thread since long time ago
> > :-/
>
> Yes.  I think it would be a great idea to start talking about what we want/need instead of making Trac's architecture a requirement.  Trac is a great tool but hasn't exactly stayed up with the times as far as its architecture.

pros vs cons , open debate , and we should be able to move forward
with these ideas
;)

[...]
> I was crossing the streams as I use Geshi in Drupal for syntax highlighting.  This is the last time I try to be useful first thing in the morning.  ;)

<joke>
Who's talking ? Chuck Norris ? Tyler Durden ? or is it the hacker?
</joke>

thnx for your comments
;)

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 1, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Olemis Lang wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>
> :)
>
>>        There were too many thread to respond to inline so I'll just address things here.
>>
>> 1) Bootstrap is just a CSS framework with a few very lightweight JavaScript plugins built on top of jQuery.
>
> There's also the case for using something like JsViews [1]_ , and
> ICanHaz [2]_ ( powered by Mustache ? [3]_ ) which are real
> fully-featured client-side template systems . Maybe some tighter
> integration with Trac is required ...

Well, I guess it depends.  If Geshi is in the backend but to a lesser capacity, we wouldn't *need* something like this but it could still be useful for performance reasons since these client-side templating systems allow for client-side caching of templates.  If we get rid of Geshi completely, we would most likely want to use a client-side templating system coupled with some framework like backbone.js.  Again, I've got some experience with backbone.js and here is a very simplistict, but somewhat cool, backbone.js example (GitHub feed reader that self-refreshes):

http://jsfiddle.net/jcscoobyrs/WVX66/

>> 2) Geshi filter's performance is a concern that we should address sooner rather than later.
>
> +1 Genshi performance in general ;)

:)

>> I know that trying to get something out quick likely will not leave much room for a templating system overhaul now but I think the problem Geshi is solving on the backend could be alleviated by using a good framework on the frontend.
>>

> that looks nice ; so I look forward to more precise comments on this
> subject in this *new* thread .
> Excuse me for my previous indiscipline . I should have started a new
> thread since long time ago
> :-/

Yes.  I think it would be a great idea to start talking about what we want/need instead of making Trac's architecture a requirement.  Trac is a great tool but hasn't exactly stayed up with the times as far as its architecture.

>> 3) I know Geshi does more for Trac than just help render it's frontend, it also helps do syntax highlighting of the sources being displayed in the repository browser and such.
>
> afaik Genshi is not (heavily) used for syntax highlighting . afaicr
> that's a whole different subject delegated to Pygments , ...

Yes, you are correct.  I was crossing the streams as I use Geshi in Drupal for syntax highlighting.  This is the last time I try to be useful first thing in the morning.  ;)

>>  I'm not an immediate +1 on removing it but again, I have a suggestion for a client-side solution that will help make our backend much leaner and performant: Google Code Prettify (http://code.google.com/p/google-code-prettify/).  This is a client-side syntax highlighter that I used on a private project I wrote and it was great.  Just something to think about.

Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>
Twitter: jcscoobyrs