Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Pekka Nikula <pe...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/12 22:35:39 UTC

FI translation help ?

Hi,

Do you still need help with FI translation ?
I might be interested in ?

--
*Pekka Nikula*

------------------------------
Please note. The information contained in this message is confidential and
is intended only for the use of the individual named above and others who
have been specially authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. The attachments have
been scanned for viruses prior to leaving our e-mail system. I shall not be
liable for any consequences of any virus being passed on.

VS: FI translation help ?

Posted by pe...@gmail.com.
Hello Keith,

Actually I just tried a little bit how the process would go,
because this is totally new thing for me.

Also it came to my mind that you perhaps (should) use somekind of translator
for the main/basic/rough translation and then some persons go through this
"raw translation" with corrections to it.
At least that is how I would do it today, as we have quite good translation programs
in the market.

1. I suppose that the trial which I made was for UI- and/or Help files for the software, am I right ?
2. Then there is the other side, the web site ? How does that look like ?

But before volunteering to anything, I would like to see a bigger/larger picture of these
processes, how they go and what tools you are using, also the tools themselves.
Because I do not want to be just one "screw driver" beside the conveyor belt, just turning
"one bolt" and not understanding the whole process and also perhaps wanting to develop
this process itself ?!

I just felt the same when translated those few words and short sentences, without seeing
the whole UI- or HELP-file and without knowing to what program or process I am doing these
small translations ?
I hope you understand what I mean ?

Waiting for your prompt reply ?

Pekka

Re: FI translation help ?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Greetings Pekka and thank you for your interest in contributing to the Finnish
translation of Apache OpenOffice®.

There are tow areas of translation that that we deal with. First is the
translation of the User Interface (UI) and Help Files (Help) for the software
itself; then there is translation of the web site to your native language.

Each of these have different processes to cary them out.

For translation of the UI anf Help we use an instance of the translation
software Pootle and we have User Guide for that software written and
maintained by volunteer translators.

Translation of the website is fairly manual at this point, but there is a user
guide being drafted currently.

with either/or both ares you would like to help in we can get you started.

Re: FI translation help ?

Posted by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr>.
Welcome here,
You can start to propose suggestions about these strings for UI and help file:
https://translate.apache.org/fi/
Once done, please let us know then posting in this mail list.