Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Leonardo Fernandes <le...@outsystems.com> on 2008/04/16 10:33:33 UTC

Malformed URL for repository

Hi.

I'm getting this error every time I want to perform a merge. Server
version is 1.5.0-beta1, and tried with client 1.5.0-beta1, and nightly
builds from TortoiseSVN. Command line clients also gives the same error.

The problem happens only with svn merge. The svn diff produces a correct
patch of the revisions I'm trying to merge. Our repository has about
44000 revisions, and was recently migrated from CVS using cvs2svn.

I tried to log the connection (I saw this somewhere, setting
neon-debug-mask = 130). The log is in attachment.

Please consider this as a serious issue, because our development got
stuck, and I'm now performing the merge by hand.

Thanks,

Leonardo Fernandes

RE: Malformed URL for repository

Posted by Leonardo Fernandes <le...@outsystems.com>.
I'm sorry, but my repository has 44000, and since I have no idea what triggers the error, I cannot reproduce it easily.

I have made the following tests:
- Perform the same merge, but in a deeper folder, inside b4_2_0. The merge completes OK.
- Record the merge in my working copy, and then repeat the merge. The repeated merge fails with the same error.
- Perform the merge of the same revision, but to another working copy switched to other branch (trunk, for example). The merge completes OK.
- Perform the exactly same merge, but in a 1.4.5 working copy, using a 1.4.5 client (with the same 1.5.0-beta1 server). The merge completes OK!

Could there be any issue with respect to having replaced paths when creating the branch? I ask it, because it is a common scenario when migrating from CVS. Here's the log of the b4_2_0 creation:

r42225 | (no author) | 2008-03-14 13:53:34 +0000 (sex, 14 Mar 2008) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   A /platform/branches/b4_2_0 (from /platform/trunk:42224)
   D /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/example
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_base_test1result.xml (from /platform/branches/avendor/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_base_test1result.xml:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_base_test2result.xml (from /platform/branches/avendor/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_base_test2result.xml:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions1result.xml (from /platform/branches/avendor/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions1result.xml:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions2result.xml (from /platform/branches/avendor/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions2result.xml:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions3result.xml (from /platform/branches/avendor/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions3result.xml:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions4result.xml (from /platform/branches/avendor/DesignManager/unitTestsFiles/debuggerTests/debugger_exceptions4result.xml:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/HubServer/KannelSimulator/App.ico (from /platform/branches/avendor/HubServer/KannelSimulator/App.ico:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/HubServer/KannelSimulator/PhonesListFrm.resx (from /platform/branches/avendor/HubServer/KannelSimulator/PhonesListFrm.resx:42224)
   R /platform/branches/b4_2_0/HubServer/KannelSimulator/obj (from /platform/branches/avendor/HubServer/KannelSimulator/obj:42224)
   D /platform/branches/b4_2_0/ServiceCenter/OML/Extensions/IntegrationStudio/JavaVersion/bin/outsystems
   D /platform/branches/b4_2_0/ServiceCenter/OML/Extensions/OMLProcessor/JavaVersion/bin/outsystems
   D /platform/branches/b4_2_0/ServiceCenter/OML/Extensions/OMLProcessor/JavaVersion/bin/xmltorecordlist
   D /platform/branches/b4_2_0/ServiceCenter/Web.config

This commit was manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch 'b4_2_0'.

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonardo Fernandes <le...@outsystems.com>.
Hi. In my repository, just a simple merge triggers the error.

My working copy is from branches/MultipleDB_b4_2_0 which is a branch based on b4_2_0.

> svn merge -r 42309:42310 https://.../branches/b4_2_0

Running a diff, instead of a merge, completes successfully, and produces a patch file of 2KB.

> The problem happens only with svn merge. The svn diff produces a correct
> patch of the revisions I'm trying to merge. Our repository has about 44000
> revisions, and was recently migrated from CVS using cvs2svn.

Could you write exact steps to reproduce your problem?

Re: Malformed URL for repository

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Malformed URL for repository

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Leonardo Fernandes
<le...@outsystems.com> wrote:
> I cannot believe this solves this error!
>
> I remember reading something like that, but I couldn't take it seriously. If
> I told one of my developers: "put your username in the server URL", they
> would laugh at me :)
>
> Well, I am sure they *will*, because that's what I'm going to tell them.

This was not readily "recreatable" before.  And also the last post
seemed to tie it to backwards compatibility, where as you get it with
an all-1.5 scenario.

Since you can get the problem, could you get a Wireshark trace of the
communications and file an issue?  If there is anything logged in the
Apache server error log that would also be useful.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: Re: Malformed URL for repository

Posted by Leonardo Fernandes <le...@outsystems.com>.
I cannot believe this solves this error!

I remember reading something like that, but I couldn't take it
seriously. If I told one of my developers: "put your username in the
server URL", they would laugh at me :)

Well, I am sure they *will*, because that's what I'm going to tell them.
Thanks!!!

________________________________

	I'm getting this error every time I want to perform a merge.
Server version is 1.5.0-beta1, and tried with client 1.5.0-beta1, and
nightly builds from TortoiseSVN. Command line clients also gives the
same error.

	The problem happens only with svn merge. The svn diff produces a
correct patch of the revisions I'm trying to merge. Our repository has
about 44000 revisions, and was recently migrated from CVS using cvs2svn.

	I tried to log the connection (I saw this somewhere, setting
neon-debug-mask = 130). The log is in attachment.

	Please consider this as a serious issue, because our development
got stuck, and I'm now performing the merge by hand.

Sounds like:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=136709

Unfortunately I can't tell from that thread whether the issue was
resolved or just petered out.  It might be interesting to know if the
workaround found by that poster works for you, though.

Karen

Re: Malformed URL for repository

Posted by Karen Tracey <km...@gmail.com>.