Posted to announce@apache.org by Josh Thompson <jf...@apache.org> on 2013/01/03 22:03:04 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache VCL 2.3.1 released

The Apache VCL project released version 2.3.1 on Dec 12, 2012.  I neglected to
announce it here when I announced it on our community lists.  2.3.1 is a
bugfix release.  Information on downloading and installing it can be found on
our download page:

http://vcl.apache.org/downloads/download.cgi

The Apache VCL is a self-service system used to dynamically provision and
broker remote access to a dedicated compute environment for an end-user. The
provisioned computers are typically housed in a data center and may be
physical blade servers, traditional rack mounted servers, or virtual machines.
VCL can also broker access to standalone machines such as a lab computers on a
university campus.

One of the primary goals of VCL is to deliver a dedicated compute environment
to a user for a limited time through a web interface. This compute environment
can range from something as simple as a virtual machine running productivity
software to a machine room blade running high end software (i.e. a CAD,
GIS,statistical package or an Enterprise level application) to a cluster of
interconnected physical (bare metal) compute nodes.

Using the scheduling API it can be used to automate the provisioning of
servers in a server farm or HPC cluster.

Josh Thompson
Apache VCL release manager