Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Scott Rowe <sc...@el.dms.moore.com> on 1998/09/04 17:59:27 UTC

Multi-threading implementation

Hello. I subscribed to this list recently, and I have already swept
the Apache site looking for an answer to this question, I sent a
message to apache@apache.org and also to one of the individual
contributors with no reply. This is what I want to know:

Has any work begun on the multi-threaded implementation for Unix?
(I have read that the Windows version is MT already, but I am only
interested in the Unix version.) I would like to see how it is
done.

I am currently writing a MT transaction server shell that reads
HTTP database query messages and returns HTTP replies. I have done
some initial testing, and my approach appears to work. If no one
has developed the MT core for the Apache server, I would like to
propose my own. (I have not checked to see if that is OK with my
employer, because I don't know if the Apache code has been written
yet, and I do not know if you all would accept my offering. No
point in getting anyone up in arms about a non-issue.)

I've been working for this company for almost ten years, and I have
worked on distributed database products, written an info server,
a network modem sharing product and other moderately complex
projects, so I believe that I am qualified to contribute.

Would someone (not too many of you, please) reply? Thank you.

Scott Rowe, MLS Systems Development
Moore Data Management Services (Formerly BORIS)
4660 S. Hagadorn, Suite 420
East Lansing, MI 48823
Voice:  517-332-7702, ext. 247
Fax:    517-332-4757
scott@el.dms.moore.com

Re: Multi-threading implementation

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Scott Rowe wrote:
>
> > Has any work begun on the multi-threaded implementation for Unix?
>
> Yes, some work has begun. Dean Gaudet has created a prototype
> multi-threaded version of Apache, using Netscape's NSPR package to provide
> threading and IO services. Last time I checked, it was working fairly
> well. Dean would be the one to ask, but unfortunately, he's in the middle
> of a desert right now, so he probably won't be able to respond until
> Tuesday or so.

Yup, not much else to say... except that the apache-nspr port is available
in the apache-2.0 repository.  I've never checked to see if that
repository is publically available yet... if it isn't it'd be cool if the
folks maintaining the anon/ftp stuff could put it up.

Dean

Re: Multi-threading implementation

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Scott Rowe wrote:

> Hello. I subscribed to this list recently, and I have already swept
> the Apache site looking for an answer to this question, I sent a
> message to apache@apache.org and also to one of the individual
> contributors with no reply. This is what I want to know:
>
> Has any work begun on the multi-threaded implementation for Unix?
> (I have read that the Windows version is MT already, but I am only
> interested in the Unix version.) I would like to see how it is
> done.

Yes, some work has begun. Dean Gaudet has created a prototype
multi-threaded version of Apache, using Netscape's NSPR package to provide
threading and IO services. Last time I checked, it was working fairly
well. Dean would be the one to ask, but unfortunately, he's in the middle
of a desert right now, so he probably won't be able to respond until
Tuesday or so.

The Apache Group's current thoughts are to use his work as a basis for
Apache 2.0, but we're still in the early planning stages of that release,
and certainly new ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>