Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nelson Arapé <na...@ica.luz.ve> on 2003/06/29 00:07:07 UTC

best practice for idl source files

Hello to all

I am new to the whole maven system. I am working in a small research project
in my University. That project utilizes CORBA, so we have idl files that
require to be compiled with a IDL compiler (JacORB).

We prefer separate source directory for our code and the stubs generated by
the IDL compiler. Actually we have something like this:

+- src
     +- java
     +- idlgenerated
     +- test

Apparently maven don't support this, even i read some posting saying that
several sourcepath are evil!.

So the question is: what would be the best practice for this type of
environment?

Thanks in Advance

Nelson Arapé

PS: Sorry for my English, it is not my native language

Re: best practice for idl source files

Posted by Nelson Arapé <na...@ica.luz.ve>.
Thanks again Jason and happy maven :)

Nelson Arapé

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 15:56, Nelson Arapé wrote:
> Thanks Jason
>
> Everything works ok, the only problem that I have is how do I use the property
> set by the uptodate task?. In ant I used to write the unless attribute in the
> task, but I did not find the equivalent maven instruction

You can use Jelly's core <j:if/> tag.

<project
  xmlns:ant="jelly:ant"
  xmlns:j="jelly:core">

  <ant:uptodate property="idluptodate" ... />

  <j:if test="${!idluptodate}">

    <!-- Do your idl generation -->

  </j:if>

<project>

> Thanks
> Nelson Arapé
>
> On Saturday 28 June 2003 20:40, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> *snip*
> >
> > Take a look at the Antlr plugin but generally you keep your grammar, or
> > IDL files in your case, in a separate directory and then your generated
> > sources can be output to a directory like ${basedir/target/idlgenerated
> > and then you can use the <addPath/> to hook in the sources. So you might
> > have something like this:
> >
> > <preGoal name="java:compile">
> >
> >   <!--
> >
> >     Run JacORB performing any uptodate checks you want.
> >     Your IDL is stored in ${basedir}/src/idl and this process
> >     will output to ${basedir}/target/idlgenerated.
> >
> >   -->

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: best practice for idl source files

Posted by Nelson Arapé <na...@ica.luz.ve>.
Thanks Jason

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 18:07, Nelson Arapé wrote:
> Hello to all
>
> I am new to the whole maven system. I am working in a small research project
> in my University. That project utilizes CORBA, so we have idl files that
> require to be compiled with a IDL compiler (JacORB).
>
> We prefer separate source directory for our code and the stubs generated by
> the IDL compiler. Actually we have something like this:
>
> +- src
>      +- java
>      +- idlgenerated
>      +- test
>
> Apparently maven don't support this, even i read some posting saying that
> several sourcepath are evil!.
>
> So the question is: what would be the best practice for this type of
> environment?

Take a look at the Antlr plugin but generally you keep your grammar, or
IDL files in your case, in a separate directory and then your generated
sources can be output to a directory like ${basedir/target/idlgenerated
and then you can use the <addPath/> to hook in the sources. So you might
have something like this:

<preGoal name="java:compile">

  <!--

    Run JacORB performing any uptodate checks you want.
    Your IDL is stored in ${basedir}/src/idl and this process
    will output to ${basedir}/target/idlgenerated.

  -->

  <ant:path
    id="maven.idl.compile.src.set"
    location="${basedir}/target/idlgenerated"/>

  <maven:addPath
    id="maven.compile.src.set"
    refid="maven.idl.compile.src.set"/>

</preGoal>

So before the java:compile goal is attained the above preGoal will be
attained which will generate your sources from IDL, then you create a
path for your generated sources and then add that path to the standard
'maven.compile.src.set' path reference and they will be picked up and
compiled along with your non-generated sources.