Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2016/06/16 19:40:59 UTC

We miss a QA team, we face too much regressions

Hi,

With the considerable HW effort, a lot of things are going on recently, and it's hard to follow. I though noticed that we experience more and more
regressions (not all related to HW effort, far from it).

Fortunately it's so far mostly minor points and often related with the UI, OFBIZ-7346 and OFBIZ-7363 being counter examples (OFBIZ-7346 can be critical)

 From my experience, w/o a QA person or team, it's very hard to detect those side effects at the UI level when you refactor or fix it. I remember the
(ex) Neogia team (mostly Erwan) tried to maintain a Selenium/Webdriver set of tests. I don't know if they continue/d.

Since we spoke about Junit and unit tests recently, some prefer TestNG, at least coupled with Selenium http://testng.org/doc/selenium.html

Does it make sense, do you think it's only an utopia?

Thanks

Jacques

Re: We miss a QA team, we face too much regressions

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes I agree unit tests 1st , as the diagram shows: you don't build on sand.

Jacques

Le 17/06/2016 � 10:34, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Good point Pierre, I'll do

Jacques

Le 17/06/2016 � 11:03, Pierre Smits a �crit :

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Taher,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gil,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for the feedback Gil,

Nothing better than a life experience! Mine was not direct because I worked with a QA engineer in charge of all these aspects. From my POV, it was
great to have it, but I had not to deal with it ;)

Jacques

Le 17/06/2016 � 08:19, gil portenseigne a �crit :

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Hi,

Neogia selenium/webdriver test suite have been abandonned, and we
decided at N�r�ide to stop doing Selenium UI testing since it needs a
lot of effort to maintain, they are very long to pass, and *weren't
stable enough* (maybe that's because we used a lot of ajax area
update...) in the way that not changing code make the test go red/blue...

Technically I used to convert my selenium test case to Junit4 class...
No problem with this technology

 From my experience, UI testing is a good way too ensure one or more

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, I agree Selenium does not fit with unit tests and is the higher level of tests as UI is the higher level of code. From my experience running
tests from this level helps also to detect bugs at a lower levels, notably regressions.

I spoke about unit tests only because I wanted to say that some prefer to use TestNG with Selenium, this to see if nobody had an opinion or/and use
Selenium for their own projects. About TestNG, I actually believe you can do the same with JUnit 4.

I must say I never used Selenium with either JUnit or TestNG. Only as a simple user creating tests for myself. That was long ago and it then saved me
a lot of time...

Jacques

Le 16/06/2016 � 21:48, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Anil,

Le 18/06/2016 � 22:21, Anil Patel a �crit :
> Jacques and others,
>
> Thanks for your kind support to team of developers working so many tickets at the same time.

I'm very happy to see such an activity, and I must confess it's hard to follow all progresses but definitely exciting!
> Some of the active engineers from HW are also skilled at QA practices and tools to automate testing and they will be super happy to start contributing selenium tests.

Looking forward :)

> Before we can start writing selenium tests it will be good to have community agree on expected system behavior and document them. We do have good start on it,
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Business+Process+Stories+and+Use+Cases+Library <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Business+Process+Stories+and+Use+Cases+Library>
>
> Is the fact that the use cases are posted on OFBiz confluence, enough to say that these are the expected system behavior
>
> OR
>
> Do we need to take time to review them and declare them accepted (we may use Jira ticket to track the review activity and then close the ticket when we have the agreement)?

I think we can trust this work, and complete/step in when necessary

> The developer team at HW is excited to do whatever it takes to increase OFBiz adoption and they will be happy to develop selenium tests.

Sounds like a start, great!

Jacques

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Jacques and others,

Thanks for your kind support to team of developers working so many tickets at the same time. Some of the active engineers from HW are also skilled at QA practices and tools to automate testing and they will be super happy to start contributing selenium tests.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: We miss a QA team, we face too much regressions

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,