Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Maurizio Munafo' <mu...@hp0tlc.polito.it> on 1998/07/23 13:48:45 UTC

general/2675: 'kill -O' warnings in apachectl

>Number:         2675
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       'kill -O' warnings in apachectl
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The apachectl script provided with Apache 1.3.1 uses the 'kill -0' method to
test if the httpd process is active.

This fact, at least on my HPUX 9.05 system, produces at least two problems:
1) 'apachectl start', run as root, produces a
 'kill: xxxxx: no such process'
 because it always try to signal the process indicated by the PID file, even if
 the httpd daemon was stopped and the value of the PID file is invalid
2) if 'apachectl' is run by a normal user, a
 'kill: xxxxx: permission denied'
 message is issued, because the httpd process is not owned by the user and
 cannot be signaled to check for existence.

In any case, the message is actually just a warning, because the script
work finely even if the process cannot be signaled.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Either the old method using 'ps' should be used, or the
'kill -0 $PID' command should be wrapped in a variable to check for possible
error or messages during the command execution.