Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by web man <we...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/28 17:21:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Creating HTACCESS FILE

Hi Guys,

I have asked this question before.
Till now I have never been able to get my way around it.
Please can anyone simply tell me in a lamer term what the content of htaccess should be in case I want to create a group of authentication file.

Thanks

God Bless You.

Re: [users@httpd] Creating HTACCESS FILE

Posted by Mystery Admin <my...@whatfantasiesmaycome.com>.
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 at 08:22:46, web man wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have asked this question before.
> Till now I have never been able to get my way around it.
> Please can anyone simply tell me in a lamer term what the content of htaccess
> should be in case I want to create a group of authentication file.

Searching the mailing list archives would have saved you a TON of grief as I
just posted the below info the other day..... ;)

Below is a sample .htaccess file:

[tom@linux stats]$ cat .htaccess
AuthUserFile /path/to/dir/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
require valid-user
</Limit>
[tom@linux stats]$

It's an ASCII text file that "lives" in the directory you want it to apply to.

Good luck!

Peace....