Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi> on 2009/07/24 08:37:35 UTC

Announcment: T5 FCK editor integration library

Hello everyone

we have used FCK editor for quite some time now with file uploading
capabilities, and we needed the same functionality in several clients that
would have had to be kept separate due to licensing issues. Thus we agreed
to make it publicly available and so we have to keep only one copy up to
date.

Currently the project lives in http://code.google.com/p/easyfckeditor/, but
I hope that we get Tapestry 360 site soon. Also, are there any maven
repositories that would accept packages without much fuss? The using would
be _much_ easier if the library was in a maven repository.

Anyway, here is short description of the project (I hope that you enjoy, and
remember to give feedback.):

Easy Fck Editor is open source extension to Tapestry 5 that uses (as the
name implies) FCK Editor under it's hood to deliver easy richtext editor
component with file upload capabilities.
The main focus is to do everything Tapestry 5 way: you can work entirely
with the provided (and excellent I might add) IoC as developers are used to.
Also the idea is to really provide such documentation that it is easy to
follow and understand. Easy Fck Editor aims to be simple to use and yet
provide good interface to aid in extending and securing Tapestry 5 based
rich editor needs.
Why? Doesn't ChenilleKit already have one?

Easy Fck Editor project started because the editor in ChenilleKit couldn't
handle file uploads. Also I found that (at that time atleast) the
documentation was not on very good level. I also didn't need but a fraction
of what ChennilleKit provided. For me, I would be more merrier if there was
tiny bits that I can put together in the project pom, so that I could
"harvest" the libraries I need. This is also why I intent to package all
forthcoming Tapestry 5 extensions as separate jars where possible. (CKEditor
should follow shortly.)

 - Ville

Re: Announcment: T5 FCK editor integration library

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.
Mainly because we had it already as standalone jar, and the time that I would
have had to use before having commit rights to ChenilleKit would have taken
too long. Busy schedule as you might guess.

Also I see this as more of an standalone thing, not necessarily as part of
the application framework thing you have going on. Of course, you're free to
use the provided code anyway you see fit ;)

Also I'll be updating that jar as part of my job, which unfortunately
dictates what I can do and what not when I'm using the office hours for open
source. The dream lives that I could work full time for the benefit of open
source software :) In the mean time though...

 - Ville

Posted by Sven Homburg <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Why invent the wheel again?

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.
Hi,

We have been using FCK happily for ages now. This editor is tested at least
with the progressive display, but nothing more exotic. Perhaps I have to do
some test cases with zone.

Also, the total rewrite of FCK, now known as CKEditor looks much more
promising, that we are using also. I think I can publish a library as soon
as the CKEditor hits 3.0 final, now it is RC 1. Take a look :
http://ckeditor.com/ckeditor/3.0rc/_samples/index.html.

 - Ville

Ps. The yui library seems definitely worth looking...

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Lewis <jb...@gmail.com>.
No hurry.  I'm doing okay with the editor in chenillekit for now.  Just
letting you know.

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.

Posted by Ville Virtanen <vi...@cerion.fi>.
Hi again,

I rolled new version that has

<source>1.5</source>
<target>1.5</target>

tags set in build configuration. This should do the trick, right? (Have no
machine where I could verify with 1.5 java, and I'm too lazy to install one
:))

 - Ville