Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/09 08:04:49 UTC

Apache Governance: PMCs - blog post

http://communityovercode.com/2011/11/apache-governance-pmcs/

I think this plus my previous governance article on the board would be
useful essays for part of the ComDev site.  I envision a set of articles
on ComDev that explain the "whys" of many of the things at Apache, to
give newcomers some perspective on how and why things work they way they do.

I don't see this as replacing the apache.org/dev site, i.e. the official
"How to be a committer / How to do PMC things" information, rather a
more approachable way to see why these guidelines are the way they are,
and to provide links to those more specific procedural documents.

Sound good?  Other ideas?

- Shane

Re: Apache Governance: PMCs - blog post

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> ...if your content fits this model then I'd love to see you adding
> your content directly to the site (which is CMS managed). If it
> doesn't fit nicely lets think about a better structure....

We could also add a "reading lists" section to community.apache.org,
with sets of links to apache.org or external content, sorted by areas
of interest.

-Bertrand

Re: Apache Governance: PMCs - blog post

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 8 November 2011 23:04, Shane Curcuru <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see this as replacing the apache.org/dev site, i.e. the official
> "How to be a committer / How to do PMC things" information, rather a more
> approachable way to see why these guidelines are the way they are, and to
> provide links to those more specific procedural documents.
>
> Sound good?  Other ideas?

This is pretty much the strategy that I outlined in the most recent
board report:

"ComDev website is slowly growing to include very high level
information about how ASF communities work. Rather than duplicating
content held elsewhere on the a.o site we are seeking to provide a
minimum fuss entry point leading towards the appropriate detail heavy
documents." [1]

This has been fairly organic so far with no real forward planning. I
recently restructured the site to provide entry points for each of
newbies, contributors and committers. We are in no way fixed to this,
but if your content fits this model then I'd love to see you adding
your content directly to the site (which is CMS managed). If it
doesn't fit nicely lets think about a better structure.

Ross

[1] http://community.apache.org/comdevboardreports.html

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)