Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Turoff <st...@home.com> on 2001/07/03 00:29:32 UTC

Restarting Tomcat on NT

I am having problems restarting Tomcat on NT. After a reboot of the
machine, Tomcat starts without a problem. However, if I stop Tomcat and
then attempt to restart, I get the following error:

FATAL:java.net.BindException: Address in use: bind
java.net.BindException: Address in use: bind
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:390)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:173)
         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:124)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:97)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:239)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector.start(PoolTcpConnector.java,
Compiled Code)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(ContextManager.java, Compiled Code)
         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:202)
         at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:235)

I'm running Tomcat on port 8080. After I receive the above error, a netstat
-a yields:

   TCP    cx628443-b:8007        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
   TCP    cx628443-b:8007        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
   TCP    cx628443-b:8080        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
   TCP    cx628443-b:8080        0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

So, for some reason, stopping Tomcat does not free up the port. I must then
reboot my machine to run Tomcat again. I'm using Tomcat 3.2.1 and Classic
VM (build JDK-1.2.2-001, native threads, symcjit).

Ideally, I'd like to fix the problem, however, I'm also interested in any
solution that doesn't require rebooting my machine. I'll be switching to a
Linux-Tomcat platform soon, but need a solution for the meantime.

Thanks,

Steve