Posted to user@avro.apache.org by nir_zamir <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/22 11:16:33 UTC

help with Avro compilation...

Hi,

I had to re-create my local Maven repository, and since then I'm not able to
compile Avro (I need to do it to test a patch).

Just to make sure I'm doing the right thing:
1. Get the 'trunk' from SVN
2. mvn install (at trunk/avro/avro-mapred)

It always fails on stuff related to 'Idl', for example:

Error injecting constructor, java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation
problems:
The import org.apache.avro.compiler.idl.Idl cannot be resolved
The import org.apache.avro.compiler.idl.ParseException cannot be resolved

I noticed that there's indeed no Idl.java. but there is:
compiler/src/main/javacc/org/apache/avro/compiler/idl/idl.jj
(it looks like someone explicitly renamed the file).
Anyway, this class seems to be needed in various projects.

Does anyone have an idea what is happening and how it can be resolved?

Thanks a lot,
Nir

Re: help with Avro compilation...

Posted by nir_zamir <ni...@gmail.com>.
Done.. Looking forward for the fix so I can test future patches..

Thanks,

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM, nir_zamir <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, how do I file a bug report?

General information on contribution to Avro is at:

  https://cwiki.apache.org/AVRO/how-to-contribute.html

In particular, bug reports are filed at:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO

Doug

Re: help with Avro compilation...

Posted by nir_zamir <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Doug,

I followed your instruction, but there's still an error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.avro:avro-maven-plugin:1.7.5-SNAPSHOT:idl-protocol (schemas) on
project avro-ipc: Execution schemas of goal
org.apache.avro:avro-maven-plugin:1.7.5-SNAPSHOT:idl-protocol failed: Unable
to load the mojo 'idl-protocol' (or one of its required components) from the
plugin 'org.apache.avro:avro-maven-plugin:1.7.5-SNAPSHOT':
com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Guice provision errors:
[ERROR]
[ERROR] 1) Error injecting constructor, java.lang.Error: Unresolved
compilation problems:
[ERROR] The import org.apache.avro.compiler.idl.Idl cannot be resolved
[ERROR] The import org.apache.avro.compiler.idl.ParseException cannot be
resolved
[ERROR] Idl cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] Idl cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] Idl cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR] ParseException cannot be resolved to a type
[ERROR]
[ERROR] at org.apache.avro.mojo.IDLProtocolMojo.<init>(Unknown Source)
[ERROR] while locating org.apache.avro.mojo.IDLProtocolMojo
[ERROR] at
ClassRealm[plugin>org.apache.avro:avro-maven-plugin:1.7.5-SNAPSHOT, parent:
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@35a16869]
[ERROR] while locating org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojo annotated with
@com.google.inject.name.Named(value=org.apache.avro:avro-maven-plugin:1.7.5-SNAPSHOT:idl-protocol)
[ERROR]
[ERROR] 1 error
[ERROR] role: org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojo
[ERROR] roleHint:

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Nir,

I think there may be a bug in Avro's Maven configuration so that 'mvn
install' doesn't work on a clean checkout.  Please instead try 'mvn
test install -DskipTests'.  If that works then please file a bug
report.

Thanks,

Doug