Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Erik Beijnoff <er...@addsystems.com> on 2003/12/01 16:09:48 UTC

Problem with trimmed SHA stored passwords in database

Hello. I'm using James connected to a SQL Server, storing the users in a
table. I'm  having a trimming problem with the password hash generated
by James. After adding a user with telnet with the password "testing",
the key below is stored in the db:

3HJK8Y+91OWRifX+dopfgxFS

However, when I generate the password directly from code, I get a
slightly longer hash:

3HJK8Y+91OWRifX+dopfgxFScFA=

As you can see, the last few characters generated from my own code is
cropped in the password generated by James. This means that I'm having a
bit of a problem adding users with anything else then James and telnet.
Any idea why this occurrs and how to solve it?

Regards Erik Beijnoff

Password generating code below:
String hashThis= "testing";
try {
	byte[] bytes= hashThis.getBytes("UTF-8");
	java.security.MessageDigest messageDigest=
java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA");
	messageDigest.update(bytes);

	byte[] raw= messageDigest.digest();

	String hash = (new sun.misc.BASE64Encoder()).encode(raw);

	System.out.println("Result:" + hash);
} catch (java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException ne) {
	//
} catch (java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException ue) {
	//
}

RE: Problem with trimmed SHA stored passwords in database

Posted by Erik Beijnoff <er...@beijnoff.com>.
Thank you. Sorry for the double post.

Regards Erik Beijnoff

> I'm having a trimming problem with the password hash generated by
> James.

> when I generate the password directly from code

Here is what James uses:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/sec
urit
y/DigestUtil.java?annotate=1.6.4.2

The password code starts on line 183.  The class has a main, and you can
run it standalone.

	--- Noel

RE: Problem with trimmed SHA stored passwords in database

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.