Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/05/11 05:04:49 UTC

german user documentation

http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/onlinedoku.html has some user-oriented
documentation about lenya. it would be great if that content could be
generalized and translated to english... any volunteers?

Re: german user documentation

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Trindler wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/onlinedoku.html refers to the
> > publication type we use at the University of Zurich and can IMO not be
> > used for a general Lenya user guide.
>
> That's a good point. It's not possible to write a "general Lenya
> user guide", except maybe the admin area (which is also customizable).
>
> What we can provide is a default publication user guide.

Yes that is true. But nevertheless i think a lot will profit from such a
site and hopfully the one or other will help to build it and keep it
up-to-date.

Jann

Re: german user documentation

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> That's a good point. It's not possible to write a "general Lenya
> user guide", except maybe the admin area (which is also customizable).

ah come on.. most things are pretty much the same between publications,
and are easily documentable.

Re: german user documentation

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Trindler wrote:

[...]

> http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/onlinedoku.html refers to the
> publication type we use at the University of Zurich and can IMO not be
> used for a general Lenya user guide.

That's a good point. It's not possible to write a "general Lenya
user guide", except maybe the admin area (which is also customizable).

What we can provide is a default publication user guide.

-- Andreas

Re: german user documentation

Posted by Michael Trindler <mi...@id.unizh.ch>.
From: "Jann Forrer" <ja...@id.unizh.ch>

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Doug Chestnut wrote:

>> > I think that this would be a good idea.  It would be nice to eventually
>> > have a link off the help menu in the default pub that instructs users
>> > how to use the cms.  As intuitive as Lenya is, end users often have no
>> > experience with web development.
>>
>> ideally, we could converge on a common narrative for german, spanish and
>> english (the languages i am aware of with existing user documentation
>> efforts). the forrest i18n functionality might help us there.
>>

> Shall we start with a wiki page as mentioned above starting with a table
> of contents like:
>
> - intro
> - authoring area
> - live area
> - site area
> - admin area
> - features
>  - scheduling
>  - .....
> - .......

Hello Jann and Doug

It's a nice idea to structure the documentation in respect of the concerns a
new user might have,
like it is done in http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/GuideContentEditor. I
propose a slightly modified version thereof:

- Overview and basic concepts

- How to access your site
   -- Logging in
   -- What are the tabs at the top of the screen?

- Basic Site Maintenance
   -- How do I edit the text of a page?
   -- How do I keep the metadata up to date?
   -- How do I publish my changes onto the live site?
   -- How do I add a new page, and delete old ones?

- Advanced Site Maintenance
   -- How do I add an image to a page
   -- language versions

- Site Administration
   -- How to add / modify a user
   -- Predefined groups and their roles
   -- changing Access Rights

http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/onlinedoku.html refers to the publication
type we use at the University of Zurich and can IMO not be used for a
general Lenya user guide. But we can nevertheless contribute to
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/UserGuide.

-michael

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Jann Forrer wrote:
> As Gregor pointed out the university of zuerich has a extended docu on
> http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/onlinedoku.html but it is in German.
> Do you think it make sense to start http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/UserGuide
> beside http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/GuideContentEditor where some of the
> University Guide can be placed (translated into English of course).
I think that this would be a good idea.  It would be nice to eventually
have a link off the help menu in the default pub that instructs users
how to use the cms.  As intuitive as Lenya is, end users often have no
experience with web development.

--Doug

Re: german user documentation

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Hi Joe,
> This is great, exactly what I was looking for :)

As Gregor pointed out the university of zuerich has a extended docu on
http://www.unicms.unizh.ch/docu/onlinedoku.html but it is in German.
Do you think it make sense to start http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/UserGuide
beside http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/GuideContentEditor where some of the
University Guide can be placed (translated into English of course).

Jann

> Thanks,
> --Doug
>
> Joe Grist wrote:
> > I have been working on this for a while, for my customers...
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/GuideContentEditor
> >
> > Joe Grist

Jann Forrer
Informatikdienste
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich

oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
(  )   phone: +41 44 63 56772
 \ (   fax:   +41 44 63 54505
  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Re: german user documentation

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Hi Joe,

Posted by Joe Grist <jo...@andersonmorgan.com.au>.

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Has anyone created end-user documentation in English?  It would be great
if we could start some general user-oriented docs on the wiki.  This is
the first thing that my content managers usually ask for.

As I come up with documentation, I will start posting to the wiki, I
just don't want to duplicate existing documentation.

--Doug