Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Berry <el...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/08 21:47:56 UTC

Mac OS X. SVN 1.6.5: Always being asked for username and password.

I have an SVN repository over HTTPS, and I'm constantly being asked for my username and password.

This started happening after I upgraded from SVN 1.5.

SVN asked for my username and password, then I got the alert about it wanting to access KeyRing which I allowed, but the problem still persists.

I wiped out my .subversion/auth directory, and was able to get SVN to ask me to accept the key again, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Please help.

RE: Re: Mac OS X. SVN 1.6.5: Always being asked for username and password.

Posted by Eric Berry <el...@gmail.com>.
> So...I guess it's time for the usual:
>
> 1) What version of OS X are you on?

Snow Leopard (10.6.1)

> 2) Are you 100% sure that the credentials you are giving has the
> requested access?

Yes. After entering them in all the operations work, I just need to enter them for any operation that accesses the remote server.

> 3) Did you ever tell the Keychain not to allow Subversion to access
> it, even by mistake?

I'm going to say no. I rarely ever have to do this, and the last time I did it was a few days ago when I upgraded. I was sure to allow it always that time. But, I honestly can't remember the previous time. It was probably when I upgraded to Snow Leopard - but that was a while ago, and it worked previously with 1.5 and Snow Leopard, before I upgraded svn to 1.6.5.

Re: Mac OS X. SVN 1.6.5: Always being asked for username and password.

Posted by Eric Berry <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,
    I tried deleting my .subversion directory completely, and re-installing
the 1.6.5 binary.

The issue seems to be fixed now. It asked for the username and password
once, and hasn't asked for it again.

I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time, but seems fixed now.

Thank you for all your help,
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
11101000

Re: Mac OS X. SVN 1.6.5: Always being asked for username and password.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for top post.  I use your binaries on Snow Leopard with no
problems.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Eric Berry <el...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, it's a shame but I've not tested my Subversion binary on Snow
> Leopard.  In theory, it should just work because the only real OS X API we
> use is for the Keychain support and those APIs are still there, unchanged.
>  But I have heard of some reports where my binary's Apache modules segfault.
>  I've not heard of the password thing before you though.  I guess I'll have
> to finally build a Snow Leopard box for testing.

Truly sorry - I know it can be a pain to set up new machines just for
testing. :) But any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Can you check to be 100% sure?  You can do this by opening the Keychain
> Access application, finding the url that you're looking to and see if svn is
> available for accessing the Keychain entry.

Thank you for the tip. I checked and it has svn listed in the "always allow"
box.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Berry <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.
> I downloaded the binary from CollabNet.

Good to hear.

Posted by Eric Berry <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.
> I wiped out my .subversion/auth directory, and was able to get SVN
> to ask me to accept the key again, but that doesn't seem to have
> done anything.

Where did you get your Subversion client?  Do you have your
~/.subversion/config file telling Subversion not to save passwords?

--
Jeremy Whitlock
http://www.thoughtspark.org