Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Stephen Levinson <St...@sun.com> on 2001/09/04 17:31:53 UTC

Shared output log file

Hi...
	I'm new to log4J ... I'm trying to understand the basic module
configurations ...

	My question:

	If I have more than one running process on a single machine... eg a
server and a client... or even two unrelated processes... is it possible to
have the log4J logging output for all processes sent to a SINGLE, shared
output file... and a single, shared output console (stdOut) window?

	Is this possible if the processes are running on separate machines
in a network?

	If so, how would this be set up?

Thanks in advance, Stephen

Stephen Levinson
SUN Microsystems Engineering
199 Forest St.
Marlborough, MA 01752
Phone: 508-460-5152 X187
FAX: 508-460-5153

Re: Shared output log file

Posted by David Owens <do...@synxis.com>.
Hi there!

We do this on Linux by just pointing all the file appenders at the same
file and the OS takes care of
the rest.  To do it on a remote machine you could just NFS mount the
location where the file is.
I'm not sure how this would work on Windows.  If you use rolling file
appenders, you will have issues
with more then one process trying to roll the same file.