Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Ben Katz <be...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/17 10:56:35 UTC

Logging in Myfaces 2.0

I've upgrade MyFaces Core 2.0.5 to 2.0.8 and stopped receiving runtime
exceptions logs. Something in the logging mechanism changed that hides the
exception messages.

To test this, I planted this code in the bean:

logger.trace("XXX BEFORE XXX");
((AdminBean)(null)).deiChanged("DfdfD"); // --> Null pointer exception

logger.trace("XXX AFTER XXX");

And I can see that the log (and tomcat console) print XXXX BEFORE XXXX so I
know for sure that a null pointer exception was thrown.

So, How should I handle run time exceptions? I'm just referring to logging
them at this point but if I have to create a handler, than I will do that.

Thanks!
Ben.

Re: Logging in Myfaces 2.0

Posted by Martin Koci <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

this is related to [1] and generally to [2].

I suppose that you have ActionListener like this:

<h:commandButton  actionListener="#{testBean.processAction}"/>

public void processAction(ActionEvent event) throws
AbortProcessingException {
		throw new NullPointerException();
}

This exception is published with Application.publishEvent and an
instance of javax.faces.context.ExceptionHandler is resposible for
displaying/handling it.

Currently myfaces MyFacesExceptionHandlerWrapperImpl creates a nice HTML
error page, but does not output same info on console (see [3])

Regards,

Kočičák

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-3199
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-3053