Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/14 13:04:34 UTC

[users@httpd] GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Hi,

I was searching the internet for a GUI tool for configuring the Apache httpd
server. I found two commercial tools but no open source ones. So I am going
to develop an open source software using java for configuring and maybe
administrating Apache httpd server. I am sending this mail to ask if there
is already such an open source software or not. If there is not and there is
somebody wants to help me on this project please visit the project
site<http://sourceforge.net/projects/apachifire/>
.

Thank you

Regards

[users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think I found what I am looking for. Here is a list of such software

1. Apache Console <http://apacheconsole.sourceforge.net/>
2. Netloony <http://netloony.sourceforge.net/>
3. Webmin <http://www.webmin.com/>(Already mentioned)

I got these software from this
webpage<http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/apacheweb.htm>
.

Regards

Re: [users@httpd] GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I took a look at rapache and it seems that depends on Debain and will
not work on a different distro. SoI think I will test rapache first
and I will contact them if we can join the effort to make it platform
independent.

Regards

Posted by spacemarc <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I will look in that more thoroughly.

Thanks

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Wow that is a very technical and helpful post.

I think the tool should be flexible Because Apache is flexible. Regarding
maintaining a web server with multiple configuration, I think the tool
should handle every configuration as a separate item. This will ease things.

Regarding that some control panels break from changing the configuration
file manually, I think the tool will not have such a problem. The tool can
give the user the option to ignore some directives.

One final note, I do not want to rush things now. I really want to at least
start the tool and let it handle some basic configuration and get feedback
from the community. at least we have a proof of concept rather than just a
hypothetical tool.

Regards

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 07:55 +0300, Mohammed obaidan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apache is not for web server admins. what about developers? What about
> home servers? What about users that needs a certain web application on
> their intranet? do they need to be web server admins to use Apache?
> certainly not.
>
> Most of the posts here suggests that people here are Apache admins and
> they think that such a tool is useless because they can use a text
> editor to configure Apache because they are Apache admins.How about if
> you are not an Apache admin? I do not think you are going to hack a
> text file for adding a virtual host or an alias without a certain tool
> that can display information about such directives and validate that
> for you.

Just an aside; I wasn't born as an apache admin. I didn't go on a course
that made me an apache admin. I wanted to install apache and make it
work, which means understanding one reasonabley large, extremely well
documented file, and then reading a bit of the manual.

I started doing that 8 years ago, and I still read the manual when I
need to change things. The problems I think you will encounter in
writing a tool to configure apache are

1) Lots of people will be very familiar with apache syntax, and won't be
with a gui tool.

2) Loss of flexibility; in a text editor, all options are available to
the insightful, but in a gui tool you only have available the options
that the author deems useful. This means if you ever do anything outside
of the tool, then you need to know exactly how apache configurations are
put together.

3) Loss of community; in a text editor making changes to stock is
straightforward and explainable - "I downloaded 2.2.11, did the default
install and added 'ServerAlias localhost.localdomain'." compared to "I
added an extra site to the server aliases tab". With the tool, only the
writer of the tool can advise the users, without having to grok entire
conf files.

4) Distro incompatability; apache can come in lots of different config
layouts. It would not be possible to predict all of them, especially as
many people (myself included!) roll our own layouts, as the task
requires.

5) Validating and parsing the config file; because of 4), you would need
to be able to parse and validate the apache configuration files. To do
this, you need to know whether a directive exists, and whether its value
is correct or not. The only way to find out if a directive exists is to
load all the specified modules from LoadModule lines, and find a
directive that matches. Having found the directive that matches, the
only way to check whether a directive value is correct is to call the
directives configuration callback with the supplied values.

Obviously, part 5 is tricky! The simplest way to avoid that is to write
your own parser, which only knows about the modules and directives that
you have told it about. Even then, you will need to take logic that
already exists and works (config parser) and rewrite it in a simpler,
less capable form. Even a 1st year CS grad would know that isn't a good
long term plan!
Writing your own parser (even if you used APRs config parsing routines
for parsing apache-style config files) will require knowledge of how
apache works. For instance, if I have the file /etc/apache.conf, which
contains these lines

ServerRoot /usr/local/apache22
Include "main.conf"

then your parser will need to work out to
read /usr/local/apache22/main.conf not /etc/main.conf.
If /etc/apache.conf just contained this:

Include "main.conf"

then you would need to do even more, you would need to see what default
directory was compiled into apache for the ServerRoot!

So, I think a lot of people do not warm to this idea because it is a lot
of work, wont work as effectively as a text editor + manual, will be
harder to maintain, and (especially on this list) will be much much
harder to support users using this tool.

Good luck scratching your itch!

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
From: "Mohammed obaidan" <bl...@gmail.com>
> Apache is not for web server admins. what about developers? What about home
> servers? What about users that needs a certain web application on their
> intranet? do they need to be web server admins to use Apache? certainly not.

I am not an Apache admin, but a developer that just needs Apache, or other web servers to serve the programs I make, so I am in the target audience.

> Most of the posts here suggests that people here are Apache admins and they
> think that such a tool is useless because they can use a text editor to
> configure Apache because they are Apache admins.How about if you are not an
> Apache admin? I do not think you are going to hack a text file for adding a
> virtual host or an alias without a certain tool that can display information
> about such directives and validate that for you.

Well, I always edit the httpd.conf with a text editor, and I even read some books for learning how to do this.

> 1. This tool in its final form will do everything you can do with a text
> editor to configure Apache. However it will not be a replacement for a the
> text editor because the tool will handle Apache and the modules that comes
> with it.

This means that it won't do everything an editor does. A developer usually doesn't need to run CGI scripts these days, but run the programs with fastcgi, or mod_perl, mod_php or other modules.
If this tool won't support the modules like mod_perl, mod_rewrite, mod_python, mod_php, and a few other helpful modules that can be used with Apache, it won't be very useful.
A developer that needs just the features which can be used with the default installation of Apache can do those settings with a few copy/paste operations... he won't need to learn too much to do those settings.
On the other hand, one that needs to do more complicated settings, might be helped by this tool if it would be able to handle them.

Octavian

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Krist van Besien <krist.vanbesien@gmail.com

Posted by Octavian Râsnita <or...@gmail.com>.
I think that we should not discourage anyone that wants to create such a
tool.
It can be used by beginners that learn how to configure the server with a
GUI, then find how the httpd.conf is created, but this only if that tool can
do absolutely everything a text editor can do.

If that tool can't do absolutely everything, than it is an evil tool for the
beginners because it will make them think that what it can do is everything
Apache can do, or they won't care that there are possible more advanced
configurations, which is not good.

It is just like a kind of beeing pleased with what Ruby on Rails can do,
without reaching to know how more things Catalyst framework can.

Octavian

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
<pe...@univie.ac.at> wrote:

>  It's certainly not for me. But other than stating the reasons why I
> think this is not practical and helpful in the real world, why should
> I try to convice others to /not/ write duch a thing? Because "some
> things should not be easy"?

Thinks should be easy. That is the point. Given the aim of the apache
webserver, and its intended audience the current way of configuring
apache is by far the easiest.

Apache is a tool for webserver admins, not for average computer users.
With apache if I need to explain to one of our operators how to deploy
a change to all our webservers all I need to know is if said person
has basic unix knowledge (which is the case, or we wouldn't let them
near our servers) and all I need to provide in my workorder is "copy
atached file to /etc/apache2/sites_available and then execute
apache2ctl graceful.
With a gui I either need to know if the target of my workorder is
familiar whith the gui, and if I'm not sure I have no other option of
writing a complete walk through, with screenshots. That I consider a
waste of my time.
So my preference for the command line and text files has nothing to do
with elitism or nostalgia. It has everything to do with two things
that are very important in a production environment: Simplicity and
repeatability.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Peter Schober wrote:
> * Glen Barber <gl...@gmail.com> [2009-02-16 18:10]:
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM, John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> DITTO!!!
>>> In the 'bad old days' of computing, everything was based on a text file.  It
>>> forces one to really understand what is behind the changes.  I for one do
>>> not subscribe to the 'dumbing down' of operating systems and certain
>>> application via lots of window forms....  If it were easy, any primate could
>>> do it, and thats the point...its not always 'that easy'...nor should it be.
>> Very well stated.
>
> Except for the elitist nonsense, and beside the point, really:
> If people think such a hypothetical tool would be useful and want to
> write and use such a thing, they should go ahead and do so.
> If you think this is nonsense, it's not for you, which is fine.
>   It's certainly not for me. But other than stating the reasons why I
> think this is not practical and helpful in the real world, why should
> I try to convice others to /not/ write duch a thing? Because "some
> things should not be easy"?

I think you got the point exactly.  What would we Apache wizards be for,
if it was so easy that anyone can do it ?
;-)

In an earlier post to the OP, I mentioned that there were really 2
categories of webserver administrators.  I think the subsequent messages
on this topic prove the point.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
I apologize...I didn't mean to hijack this thread by stating a personal
perception. Should have confined my comments to technical contributions.  I
guess my point is that in designing any interface, one must consider the
complexities (e.g. the numerous interactions possible with the variables) of
the system.  If the interactions are complex, a form approach can frustrate
the user just as much as having to edit a text file, and be more difficult
to build than initially thought.  If one googles for  'complexity forms
data'  one will find lots of guidelines to both evaluate and assess form
usability.

-John

Posted by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at>.

Posted by Glen Barber <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
DITTO!!!

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Krist van Besien <krist.vanbesien@gmail.com

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since Apache is used on more UNIX machines than Windows machines, it
> seems that the audience here are Linux users and are willing to edit
> the file by a text editor without any helping tool.

I find the fact that apache is configured by editing a simple text
file one of its biggest advantages. Edits in text files are easily
versioned. It is easy to roll back changes. It is easy to document. If
I want something repeated on a different server that someone else
admins I can jsut write a short message like: "add the folliwing lines
at the end of httpd.conf". Having to walk someone through a gui is
really a pain...

Krist
--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.
Mohammed obaidan wrote (in part):
> Since Apache is used on more UNIX machines than Windows machines, it
> seems that the audience here are Linux users and are willing to edit
> the file by a text editor without any helping tool. However, in my
> point of view, I think when a Windows user want a simple web server
> will go for IIS because it has a GUI. This will affect Apache usage
> share, though not that much but at least will have an impact.

As an Apache under Windows user, I would strongly disagree with that
statement.  The ability to use a GUI had absolutely no bearing on my
decision to use Apache over IIS.  It was totally based on lack of
security of most of the Microsoft products.  OK, I might be a little
biased due to a problem many years ago when I needed to get a ftp server
up that would only be used for one event lasting less than one day.  Set
up ftp using IIS and got virused within hours even with latest version
of IIS and all the updates at the time.  Turned out to be a well known
security hole that MS had not yet fixed at that time...

Short version is that I could not care less if Apache used a GUI or not.

--
73
-------------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I read a few about the modules and found out that they are some modules come
with Apache distribution here <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/>.
Others are createds by different people here <http://modules.apache.org/>. I
think that the modules that comes with the distribution should be
implemented. I think that would be an important part of the tool.

You mentioned a few good points like it will help you in remembering
variables. It will also help you validate directives and their variables.

Regarding Apache admins, I think expert admins will not need this tool.
However most Apache admins are not that expert because Apache is used by web
developers also. Regarding the beginners  I think a simple wizard will help
them

In conclusion, I think the tool should handle all the directive and the
modules included with Apache distribution.

Regards

Posted by Octavian Râsnita <or...@gmail.com>.
From: "Mohammed obaidan" <bl...@gmail.com>
> I think when a Windows user want a simple web server
> will go for IIS because it has a GUI. This will affect Apache usage
> share, though not that much but at least will have an impact.

I use Apache under Windows, because I create the programs under Windows then
I put them to run under Linux, and I want to use the same web server.

A GUI for configuring Apache would be nice if it would let me to do
absolutely everything I can do with a text editor.
I would like such a tool for the cases when I forget the name of some
variables or options in cases like those conditions that can be wrote in
httpd.conf for preventing the access to a certain type of files, from a
specific  IP address, when the HTTP headers contain or not contain a certain
text, and so on.

> Regarding the GUI for the modules, I think that every module creator
> can for example implement a simple plugin for my tool, as you said,
> since it will needs lots of time and effort.

I really doubt that they would do that.
And if they won't do that, the users would see that your tool is not able to
understand some parts of the configuration file, so it can't help them.

> Regarding installing a basic Apache on Windows, it is not an easy
> task. It is easy iff you install it from a package like XAMPP.

I have never installed Apache under Windows that way. I have always
installed from the .msi installer and it always was very easy.

> I think such a tool will contribute a lot to Apache since it will ease
> it configuration. I know that most of you are thinking that this tool
> for Windows users that are so lazy to do it by hand. However I think
> it will help them and people who are switching to Linux like myself.

I think that Apache administrators already know what they need to do in
httpd.conf, and if they know, it is more simple for them to make the
configuration in a text editor than using a GUI.
They could find that GUI useful if it could help them remember the advanced

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I took a look at webmin and it is really amazing and beautiful.
However, to install it you need lots of work because it has lots of modules.
Regarding the Apache configuration part it is really wonderful.
However, I do not think it covers all Apache configurations and it
does not have extra tools for administrating Apache.

I think webmin is a very good and powerful tool for administrating
Unix servers and I think I will adapt some of the parts that deals
with Apache configuration.

One more note. The software that I am developing will have some
helpful wizards like a wizard to make a new configuration file from
scratch that contains the needed directives to start an Apache server.

Also webmin assumes that a configuration file already exists and
Apache is up and running. While my software will not assume that but
will help you get Apache up and running.

Thank you for mentioning webmin and frankly I really liked at a lot
and I definitely use it to manage my server.

Regards

Posted by Octavian Râsnita <or...@gmail.com>.
I think that it doesn't matter if a module is a part of Apache or it is a
third party one. If someone uses some modules in httpd.conf, that tool will
need to be able to understand them, because otherwise that tool would be
useless. And I guess most of the Apache admins use some kind of external
modules like mod_php, or mod_python, (or mod_perl which is not so "third
party").

But mod_perl allow including even perl code in httpd.conf, so that tool even
though it shouldn't understand the perl code, it should be able to
understand the XML elements used for including that code, for allowing the
admins to modify it.

Octavian

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

OK there are a lot of questions to be answered.
Regrading the directives, do not worry about the GUI. The GUI problem
is easy to solve and they are many options to tackle this, for
example, using a table to show the directives and group similar
directives. That is a quick solution for it. since the aim is a
complete Apache GUI admin tool, all  the directive of Apache will be
present, available to the user and validated.

Regarding the modules, the modules are not part of the Apache server.
That also applies to the distributions and packages modules.

Regarding split config files, this can be solved by giving a user the
option to have a split config file or not.

Regarding automatic reloading and syntax checking, this is not the
time to discuss it. As I told you before the aim is a portable Apache
GUI admin tool the first step is the httpd.conf file.

> I'm sure this could all be solved, given the resources.
> I'm not so sure if these resources would be spent wisely, though.

Well my friend, we will see about that.

One final note and I want to reemphasize is that

The aim is a portable Apache GUI admin tool.
The first step is the httpd.conf file.
This tool is solely for Apache httpd server not for third party
modules or distribution or packages

Regards

Posted by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at>.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com> writes:

> I will take a look at webmin. Also I am considering making the
> software for windows and Linux so if a certain linux distribution has
> its own configuration tool that will not be considered as a portable
> tool for configuring Apache.

Don't forget Mac, Solaris, etc. If you're going to make it portable,
you might as well do it right :-)

Re: [users@httpd] Re: GUI for configuring Apache httpd by editing httpd.conf

Posted by Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com>.
I will take a look at webmin. Also I am considering making the
software for windows and Linux so if a certain linux distribution has
its own configuration tool that will not be considered as a portable
tool for configuring Apache.

Also we can expand the project after implementing the main features.
For example a wizard to optimize Apache, a wizard to simplify creating
virtual hosts and a .htaccess password creator .. etc.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Bogdan Cristea <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
Mohammed obaidan <bl...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,I was searching the internet for a GUI tool for configuring the
> Apache httpd server. I found two commercial tools but no open source
> ones. So I am going to develop an open source software using java for
> configuring and maybe administrating Apache httpd server. I am sending
> this mail to ask if there is already such an open source software or
> not. If there is not and there is somebody wants to help me on this
> project please visit the project
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/apachifire/.

This sounds like it would be a useful tool.  You'll probably want to
start with 2.2, but at some point you should also look at the new
version under development, which will likely have some significant
changes in some areas of configuration.

I suggest you send updates to this list periodically, for example when
you have something ready for people to try.  And of course ask questions
as needed about how things work.

Dan