Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "M. Amin" <am...@imkenberg.net> on 2001/03/14 19:53:18 UTC

How can i integrate James with my application ?

Dear James-users,
 I tried to run james from my linux machine as root account but i got the
following exception :
Main: cannot open new listener on port 110 : Cannot open ServerSocketAcceptor
on port 110
my goal is integrate James with my web application to send e-mails to my
customers, is it possible ? and how ?
any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
 M. Amin

Re: How can i integrate James with my application ?

Posted by Gunnar R|nning <gu...@candleweb.no>.
"M. Amin" <am...@imkenberg.net> writes:

> Dear James-users,
>  I tried to run james from my linux machine as root account but i got the
> following exception :
> Main: cannot open new listener on port 110 : Cannot open ServerSocketAcceptor
> on port 110

As others commented the port is probably has another process with listen on
it. Check it with the "netstat -a" command under linux.

> my goal is integrate James with my web application to send e-mails to my
> customers, is it possible ? and how ?
> any help will be appreciated.

Why do you want to use James for this. Linux distos usually come bundled
with mailservers(as your seems to do too), so if you just want to send mail
use the default one. Maybe you are looking for an API that makes it easy
to send mail from Java (Just trying to do some qualified guessing.) ?

regards,

	Gunnar

Re: How can i integrate James with my application ?

Posted by Gunnar R|nning <gu...@candleweb.no>.

Posted by Joel Gluth <jo...@ping.net>.
By the sickbed of Cuchulainn, M. Amin knelt and said:

>  I tried to run james from my linux machine as root account but i got the
> following exception :
> Main: cannot open new listener on port 110 : Cannot open ServerSocketAcceptor
> on port 110

The most likely answer to this is that you have another process
already listening on port 110. Depending on your Linux distribution,
this could be exim, sendmail, or something altogether different. Try

netstat --inet -a -p

And look for entries saying either "110" or "smtp". You'll have to
stop whatever process is using the port first. On my machine,

/etc/init.d/exim stop

works fine.

> my goal is integrate James with my web application to send e-mails to my
> customers, is it possible ?

You don't really need JAMES to do this. The JavaMail packages are
probably enough, and will certainly talk to JAMES as happily as any
other SMTP server.

BTW, this is really a james-user and not a james-dev question. Not
that there was a lot of traffic on james-dev today :)

Cheers,
--
Joel Gluth \\ Disintegration Engineer, Ping.Net     http://www.ping.net
"Oo-ta, goo-ta, Solo?"                                        -- Greedo

Re: How can i integrate James with my application ?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
You are already running another mail program that is listening at port 110.
Either disable POP services in James or turn off your other mail server
first.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by sbelt <sb...@velos.com>.
Maybe linux has already installed its mail daemon -> See if sendmail or
postfix are running.

Also, I had this problem once when I discovered some sort of proxy daemon
was listening on this port to redirect the messages to some internal server
(though it is highly unlikely this is your problem)

Steve B.