Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roman Fail <rf...@posportal.com> on 2003/04/21 23:09:09 UTC

RE: Simple question: SSL setup on Tomcat

Your keytool statement has some typos in it, it should read more like:
keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

I believe you need to run this command logged in as the same user than Tomcat is executing under.  It creates the keystore file in that user's home directory.  Otherwise you can explicity specify the location of the keystore file on creation using the -keystore <filename> flag.  I find it easier to create the SSL Connector using the /admin webapp tool anyway.

You also have to make sure you use the default keystore/key password of 'changeit'; alternatively you can specify a different password - you just have to let Tomcat know about it (again easily done by creating/editing the SSL Connector in the /admin webapp).

See this link for more good ideas:
http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.0/tutorial/doc/WebAppSecurity6.html#67575

Roman