Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com> on 2000/09/23 21:10:50 UTC

Runtime

Hey,

I am just trying to add some logging to velocity
using the org.apache.log package and upon thinking
of placing it in the org.apache.velocity.runtime
package I thought about adding an actual Runtime
class that would house:

o the configuration (org.apache.velocity.Configuration)
o the template loading system (org.apache.velocity.runtime.*)
o the caching system
o the logging system.

Then the runtime could take in the configuration options
in the velocity.props file and then initialize the
appropriate template loaders, the caching system, and the logger.
And anything else that comes along that belongs to the
runtime.

You've been playing with this stuff Dave, do you have
any thoughts? Anyone else have any thoughts?

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Runtime

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I am just trying to add some logging to velocity
> using the org.apache.log package and upon thinking
> of placing it in the org.apache.velocity.runtime
> package I thought about adding an actual Runtime
> class that would house:
>
> o the configuration (org.apache.velocity.Configuration)
> o the template loading system (org.apache.velocity.runtime.*)
> o the caching system
> o the logging system.
>
> Then the runtime could take in the configuration options
> in the velocity.props file and then initialize the
> appropriate template loaders, the caching system, and the logger.
> And anything else that comes along that belongs to the
> runtime.

The idea of a Velocity Runtime as a central access and configuration
point appeals to me.  It ought to make running in stand alone mode easy,
as well.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>