Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2001/06/28 15:58:18 UTC

Intake & initial values

I have a form that I validate with intake that I
would like to provide initial values for some
of the fields.  I have tried setting the intake
field values thus:

  #set ($group.Active.Value = true)
  #set ($group.StartDate.Value = $today)

but this doesn't seem to work.

Is there some way of initialising intake field values?

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Intake & initial values - Repost

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
Intake takes initial values from the objects attached to the groups
through the method "mapTo".  Setting initial values the way you are
attempting to would be a good thing to support.  I will keep it in mind
or feel free to add the functionality.

john mcnally

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> > > I have a form that I validate with intake that I
> > > would like to provide initial values for some
> > > of the fields.  I have tried setting the intake
> > > field values thus:
> > >
> > >   #set ($group.Active.Value = true)
> > >   #set ($group.StartDate.Value = $today)
> > >
> > > but this doesn't seem to work.
>
> Scott, I think the above is equivalent to this:
>
> #set( $group.get( "StartDate" ).getValue() = $today )

I agree, so of course this way will not work.

> So, you're trying to assign to the value of getValue() which might be a
> clone of the Field value, not the Field value itself.
>
> Anyway, I don't know how you might get around this problem because there
> isn't an available setValue method (setValue is provided, but is not
> accessible). So this must be the "wrong" approach (not that I know where
> you might find the "right" approach). Maybe you call init with a
> Retrievable or something. I really don't know. I only use Field values
> in Java classes. In Velocity templates I instead reference the object
> that contains the values to which the input form relates. So, if the
> form submits information about a "Thing", then my Velocity template
> would call Thing.StartDate, for example. Of source, Thing needs to be
> defined for the template. It would probably be a property of an existing
> pull object, or else the Java class for the template puts the Thing into
> the template Context when doBuildTemplate is called.

I too mostly reference the object that contains the values, but
in this case it is for a new instance of the underlying object and
I am thus using the Default intake group.

Apart from delving into the intake code (which unfortunately
I do not have time for right now) the only other solution that
comes to mind involves retrieving a reference to a new instance
of the underlying object and populating it with the default values
before mapping that to intake.  I haven't tried this yet as it seems
like a bit of a hack.  Intake also seems to use the primary key
as the key value so I am not sure how this will be handled.

Thanks again for your comments.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

From: "Scott Eade" <se...@backstagetech.com.au>