Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net> on 2005/06/23 10:49:08 UTC

Nobody replied to me about Virtual Domains..

A while ago I send an email but nobody replied... that "solution" that
you have in your FAQ - does it work?

If not, is there a virtual domain implementation for James out there?

RE: Nobody replied to me about Virtual Domains..

Posted by Ilia Chipitsine <il...@paramon.ru>.
it is already shipped with James-2.2, what is your version of James ?

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.

Posted by Ilia Chipitsine <il...@paramon.ru>.
> Why is it so hard to implement virtual domains?

write the code :-)
community will appreciate that.

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.

Posted by Ilia Chipitsine <il...@paramon.ru>.

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
> A while ago I send an email but nobody replied... that "solution" that
> you have in your FAQ - does it work?

Yes.

As for last questions, see below:

> 1)       Performance of James seems to be a bit slow compared to qmail.
> With qmail, if I wanted to send myself an email message, I would usually
> get it right back on my MUA within the same send/receive.  With James it
> usually takes about 10 seconds (and it's running on a test serer, not
> development one so there's no load)

No idea on your issue, but performance and smtp-in-to-inbox mail transfer
are two totally different issues. As long as it reaches the inbox in a
reasonable time it's ok.  Performance of a mail server really should be
measured in what sort of email load it can handle.  Also, it depends on what
the server is doing: what do you have set up in the mail chain? for example,
any of the spam lookups take time.  Also i dont know if the spool sleeps
when it has no mails? etc,etc,etc.

> 2)       I'm hosting 3 different domains.  I understand that virtual
> hosting isn't yet implemented, so does this mean that if I create an
> account "sales", all sales@domain1 sales@domain2 sales@domain3 messages
> will go into the same account?  I read the following:
> http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html#7   - does that actually work?  There
> seems to be no good explanation on installing it, can somebody help me
> with that?
>
> Thanks a lot, I hope I can contribute to James somehow in a future (I'm
> a java dev)

Easy... create the table. Add the database repository if you aren't already
using same database for users.  Add the mailet into your config.xml (in root
near top).

Then, choose a naming scheme and stick to it, or you will very quickly loose
control: eg: user.domain or user%domain, and set up users as normal users,
and in virtual table:
[user,domain,target]
sales,domain1.com,sales.domain1.com
sales,domain2.com,sales.domain2.com
bob,domain1.com,bob.domain1.com

then set up users:
sales.domain1.com
sales.domain2.com
bob.domain1.com

I'm using it to host lots of domains.  Though i wrote a quick'and'dirty php
app to manage the users/virtualusers (combined) and forwarders (from virtual
users).

Daniel.